need some quick help

10-30-2018 11:28 AM
BrookMorris
New Contributor

Hello I'm B. Morris. Not sure if this is the right place being new to the GeoNet, but figured I would try. I'm using ArcGIS for desktop V10.5.1. I need some quick advice on how to make something work due to a time critical mission I am working. Here is the deal: I wish I could show the table I took a screen shot of. 1. Attribute table named "Building_Clean_up" 2. In the attribute table there are two data columns named "Building_I" and "FAC_NUM". Question is this: How do I copy the data from the "Building_I" data column over to the "FAC_NUM" data column? I have tried everything that I know of thus testing what little knowledge I have. Can someone help expand my 10% factor here? LOL Vr... Brook M.10% factor issue

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
BrookMorris
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.  What syntax do I utilize to simply copy it over from one column to the other within the field calc?  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Building_I is a text field... is Fac_num also? if so make the Fac_num field selected, right-clidk, Field Calculator, then... using the python parser and for the calculation it would be !Building_I!  note the ! marks.

If the Fac_num isn't a text/string field, all bets are off

BrookMorris
New Contributor

My bad, yes they are both text fields (strings)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the syntax is in my example... python.... !Building_I!

0 Kudos
BrookMorris
New Contributor

Dan, You just made my day along with my bosses.  Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No problem Brook

0 Kudos