Auto-Append in Portal/AGOL

01-13-2018 09:59 PM
Anthony_Ammo__Amodei
New Contributor II

Working with multiple (hosted) feature layers, I was looking for a way to automatically write to a master layer.  Since they were already separate layers, most with the same schema, I thought this possible.  On the server side at least, this doesn't seem easy.  In Pro, I can just run the append tool, but that doesn't satisfy a dynamic, multi-user operating environment.  They are making single observations on the fly and using the smart-edit widget from WebAppBuilder seems pretty user-friendly. 

(side-quest, how can I get the MGRS field to auto-populate/calculate??

FREE BEER for anyone who helps me do this!)

As a work-around, I'm going to try and re-publish a single feature layer for all users to write to.  How many users at once can edit a hosted feature layer in portal?  I'm going to get them all using the same web app (built using web app builder) in the same tab of a map series app.  Is this un-wise?

Thanks,

Ammo

0 Kudos
3 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think  you are better off doing the one layer that everyone edits into. I am not sure there is an upper limit of people hitting, but you have to watch for people conflicting. You can always make it so they can only add features or update their own features to provide some QC. Not sure on the MGRS issue you have. I hope this helps.

Anthony_Ammo__Amodei
New Contributor II

Much appreciated, Gary.  I came to the same conclusion regarding the single layer.  It just makes more sense for my analysts.

Regarding the MGRS issue: it is simply the need to have the MGRS, or any coordinate, automatically input into a field based on where the point is dropped onto the map, automatically.  I fully expected this to be easy to configure, but I am having trouble finding the functionality to configure a field within the attributes table that can auto-populate with coordinates.  I have explored many of the calculate field options within ArcGIS Pro as well as the Calculate Geometry options within ArcMap, but I find those useful in bulk after the feature class is fully created.

Currently, my fellow analysts have to drop the point and input the coordinates themselves.  This can be burdensome on our timelines, given our ops tempo.  I explored the 'calculate field' functions and find those to be useful after the feature class is created.  We need an on-the-fly solution.  Especially given our desire to fully utilize a WebGIS construct and feed into dynamic Common Operating Pictures between different teams and sites.

My Free Beer offer stands until this requirement is satisfied.  I think it a worthy request.

Thanks,

Ammo