XY data field type(string and long)

Jump to solution
03-21-2015 05:05 PM
DaKuang1
New Contributor

Hi, I am a student and trying to manage xy data. I have a text, that include 4 things (x, y, Angle, Velocity). The problem is that when I display the xy data in gis, the  anlge and velocity should be string(eg.1.231321321231). But actually, it was regarded to be Long in Gis. So most of the number cannot be illustrate in the table.

Can anyone tell me how can I change the data field type??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Use the Table to Table tool to convert cvs files or tab deliminted text files to a table first.  It lets you set up the field mapping.

If you rely on the automatic conversion of a text file by other tools that do not let you control the field mapping, make sure the first row with a number in it is formatted as decimal.  For example, change 90 to 90.0 or 0 to 0.0 in the first row with a number in it for each field.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DaKuang1
New Contributor

QQ截图20150322001640.pngSome number in the rot miss

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Use the Table to Table tool to convert cvs files or tab deliminted text files to a table first.  It lets you set up the field mapping.

If you rely on the automatic conversion of a text file by other tools that do not let you control the field mapping, make sure the first row with a number in it is formatted as decimal.  For example, change 90 to 90.0 or 0 to 0.0 in the first row with a number in it for each field.

DaKuang1
New Contributor

Oh, yes, it work after I change the first line includes 90.0 it works right .Thannk you Richard!!

Da

0 Kudos