Writing data with deprecated coordinate systems with FME Workbench?

Jump to solution
06-07-2016 02:23 PM
MatthewBaker2
Occasional Contributor II

All,

I recently fired up FME 2015 (through the Data Interoperability Extension) and when trying to write data from PostGIS (in EPSG:3426) to MSSQL Spatial in CO State Plane (EPSG:2877), I get a warning that the coordinate system is deprecated and no SRID can be set on the data.

I'm using the ESRI Reprojector to set the parameters, and they have worked fine in the past.

What is strange, however, is when writing to ArcSDE Feature Classes using the same source and destination coordinate systems and reprojection parameters, there is no warning about the deprecated coordinate system and the data runs fine.

Any thoughts on the difference in behaviour between these two source formats when using the EPSG:2877 (DEPRECATED) coordinate system?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Hey Matt,

How are you doing?

Well, this is interesting because my original answer was going to be along the lines of we don't normally check whether a WKID is deprecated or not beyond looking up the "current" WKID. However, when I check the EPSG registry, 2877 (NAD83(HARN) / Colorado Central (ftUS)) is still valid, not deprecated.

I thought maybe the number had been marked deprecated by mistake but none of the Colorado zones have ever been deprecated. I looked quickly through the deprecation table, but the closest numbers that have been deprecated recently are 2857 and 2867. Both are areas, not coordinate reference systems.

Melita

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

hmmm does this make any sense to you EPSG Geodetic Parameter Registry

I will flag Melita Kennedy​ to provide some guidance as well

0 Kudos
MatthewBaker2

I don't think it's an ESRI problem as much as it is an FME problem... I posted to their forum but no one has replied...

The workaround is to use:

update schema.tableName set shape.STSrid = '2877'

...which you can do from sql server management studio or in the 'sql to run after translation' option in FME.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Hey Matt,

How are you doing?

Well, this is interesting because my original answer was going to be along the lines of we don't normally check whether a WKID is deprecated or not beyond looking up the "current" WKID. However, when I check the EPSG registry, 2877 (NAD83(HARN) / Colorado Central (ftUS)) is still valid, not deprecated.

I thought maybe the number had been marked deprecated by mistake but none of the Colorado zones have ever been deprecated. I looked quickly through the deprecation table, but the closest numbers that have been deprecated recently are 2857 and 2867. Both are areas, not coordinate reference systems.

Melita

MatthewBaker2

Hey Melita!

That is super helpful and I will pass it on to the FME folks - do you happen to know where that deprecation table is?

Otherwise, we're great here in Denver! Both busy at home and work... hope you an Colin and the family are doing well!!!

Thanks again!!!

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

You can download an Access database of the EPSG dataset and/or various sql or other formats. You have to set up an account, but you'll only get emails about the dataset, nothing else. It's not 100% up-to-date as it's released twice a year (approximately April and October) whereas the online registry continually updates.

http://www.epsg-registry.org : to export in GML, SQL, or WKT (WKT for CRS and transformations only)

http://www.epsg.org : Access database

Melita

MatthewBaker2

Thanks, Melita!

0 Kudos