Work Flow question--Layer to SDE to AGOL to Opendata

09-15-2015 06:32 AM
JenniferMcFarland
New Contributor III

I have an sde database that contains a feature dataset.   The layers in the feature dataset periodically need updated.  The layers are also in services and have been added to agol and shared in opendata.   What would be the best method to replace an old layer with a new layer without having to redo everything. 

So essentially I have my GDB.  

I have a feature class in SDE that is in a map service that is also been added to agol and then added to my open data group.  It is time to update the layer in the feature class with the new one we received.  What is the best method for doing this?  

Layer --> SDE--> Service --> AGOL --> Open Data

There are several Hundred layers that need updated.   So it isn't just a one off kind of thing.  

Thoughts??  Comments???

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PatriciaMoehring
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jennifer:  If you can write a script that will just replace updated values in your sde features then you don't have to do anything with your service.

So, I have some services that are feature services and some services that point to a file gdb.  Every night, a script runs that updates a file gdb with changes in sde.  If there have been any schema changes, then all I do is delete the file gdb and the nightly script will replace it.

I never have to rebuild my services.  Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos