Will merged road datasets be "linked" and ready to use in a network dataset?

05-08-2016 11:00 AM
PeterLecourt
New Contributor II

I need to combine two vector datasets (representing roads) into a single dataset, and then create a network dataset from the result. I believe I can use the merge tool to combine the two vector datasets. However, I am wondering if I need to carry out any further operations to “link” the two merged vector datasets before creating my network dataset. Will the two merged vector datasets be “connected” after the merge, so that the network dataset created from the merged dataset will allow calculation of routes that travel on roads contained in both of the original vector datasets.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I would second the suggestion Wes Miller .  Unless the data was originally from one source and cleanly split, there is a very high chance there will be disconnects between the two datasets, even if one Unions them.  Run topology be sure that the linework is indeed connected.  It just takes one very small disconnect that is almost invisible to the naked eye even when zoomed in to cause a lack of connectivity.  It is not uncommon for small gaps to exist when merging or unioning datasets.

Chris Donohue, GISP