Why I get the message "maximum number of connections to instance exceeded"?

07-11-2010 07:17 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Why I get the message "maximum number of connections to instance exceeded"

Please, see the attached image that shows my question
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
7 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
All ArcSDE instances have a limit on the number of concurrent users. If you reach the limit
you will get that message. If you have an Enterprise license, you can change CONNECTIONS
to a larger value (see the 'sdeconfig' command documentation), though you will eventully
start getting Windows errors instead of SE_CONNECTIONS_EXCEEDED if you set it too high.

Note: The non-interactive desktop heap OS connection limit is only on Windows server hosts,
and applies only to application server connections (not Direct Connect).

- V
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Just a tip: Some of the ArcSDE messages have been documented in the help topic ArcSDE error messages:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_dotnet_help/index.html#/ArcSDE_error_...

This may help you get a little more information on an error message you get back from ArcSDE.

Hope this helps,

Kim
0 Kudos
StevenRehbaum
New Contributor
I was going to add that often times connections get hung.  If you haven't changed the kill time in the config file, I would make the change.  God luck.
0 Kudos
GaryBarden
New Contributor III
Just wondering if there is a way to determine where the connections came from? Maybe a log file somewhere so we could determine what application/users were causing this error to be reported.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
RobertHu
New Contributor II
"sdemon -o info -I users" will tell where a connection is from (machine/OS). If you can see the SDE system table, the information is in SDE_process_information table.

The GDBT tool should also give you some info.
0 Kudos
KenGalliher1
Esri Contributor
Try this command:

sdeconfig -o list -P CONNECTIONS -D <Database Name> -i <Service> -s <Server Name> -u <SDE Username> -p <SDE Password>

This will show you how many connections you have available now.  ArcSDE allows 48 by default.

Use this to change it:

sdeconfig -o alter -P CONNECTIONS=60 -D <Database Name> -i <Service> -s <Server Name> -u <SDE Username> -p <SDE Password>

the quantity can be of your choosing and make sure you have the administrative rights to alter the configuration.  See this link for more details.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/geodatabase/10.0/admin_cmds/support_files/admincmdref.htm
0 Kudos
PaulSprague
New Contributor
I am getting this same error with a new Workgroup Standard installation of 10.0 with sqlexpress. I did not have these issues on our 9.3 server.
Any ideas are appeciated.
0 Kudos