Why does ArcCatalog 10.5 crash when attempting to view folder connections?

05-18-2017 05:59 AM
KentAnness
New Contributor II

I just upgraded from 10.3.1 to 10.5 yesterday afternoon. Since that time, I have not been able to view any folder connections in standalone ArcCatalog. It crashes every time. I deleted all of the config files where the folder and other connections are stored but when I add a new folder connection, it crashes as soon as I try to view the folder contents. Strangely enough, if I access ArcCatalog through ArcMap, it works just fine. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I use standalone ArcCatalog quite frequently and this is bothersome. Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try Resetting your ArcGIS application profile‌. esp. rename/delete C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI.

If the issue doesn't resolve, you might have to repair ArcGIS Desktop.

Think Location
KentAnness
New Contributor II

Thank you jayanta.poddar‌ for the suggestion. I just tried this but to no avail. I am now running a "Repair" of the installation. If that doesn't resolve the issue, I will moving back to 10.3.1. Appreciated!

0 Kudos
ChristineSharp
New Contributor

I was having the same problem and before trying to run the repair installation I tried doing a 'refresh' on the connecting folder in the catalog tree which seemed to fix it.  I can now connect to my folders without crashing.

0 Kudos
KentAnness
New Contributor II

Thank you for this suggestion. I just tried what you outlined but unfortunately it still crashes each time a select a folder connection. 

0 Kudos
GeorgeNewbury
Occasional Contributor

I realize this is an older thread, but for those in the future who come across it while troubleshooting...

My 10.5 installation was working just fine on a Win 10 machine. This morning I started having the same problem. The only thing that changed was windows updates were run last night.  I added a folder connection to a drive (C:\ and H:\) and then when I tried to browse the contents ArcCatalog would crash. I could browse the connections fine in ArcMap though. I deleted/renamed the C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.5\ArcCatalog folder multiple times and still couldn't browse the directory. I also tried repairing the ArcGIS Desktop installation via windows and I still had the problem.

Next I tried connecting to a subfolder (e.g. H:\Foo), and I could browse the contents. Very odd.

0 Kudos