white boarder around jpg image in layout view, how to remove it?

12-04-2011 07:00 PM
jameshancock
New Contributor
Hello,
I hope someone can help me, my job may depend on it. I have a raster map, a .jpg. I have done the geoprocessing (adding buffers) and it looks fine. Except when I go into layout view there is a white boarder around my .jpg image. I need to produce a printed map but cannot get one without white boarders around the .jpg image. Resizing the image doesn't help. What should I do? I tried cropping it in corel paint and that didn't work. I've also tried every function in ArcMap I could think of, changing the extent, etc. Please Help!
Jim Hancock
0 Kudos
3 Replies
NathanPugh
New Contributor III
To get rid of the white background you will need a photo editing software which can create/edit files with transparency (like .png).  Corel may be able to do that, if not Photoshop can. 
Good Luck
0 Kudos
DaniMaynard
Occasional Contributor
Coming with no knowledge of the pixel values contained in JPGs, the trick I always use with my imagery is to set the black or white background pixel values (255 or 0 in some cases) to transparent thru the Symbology "Display Backgroup Value" properties.

Goto Customize and add in the "Pixel Inspector" to see what the values of your border are.

If they are NoData, then you can also set this to transparent thru the same properties above.
0 Kudos
MelanieHarlow
Esri Contributor
It sounds like the white boarder isn't in your image, but is likly due to the page setup options on the layout. My question is why are you exporting the layout. I would recommend exporting the raster.
See Exporting a raster in ArcMap.
0 Kudos