While creating polygon features have a hollow filled feature

Jump to solution
09-11-2012 03:53 AM
Salomon_VágadalJoensen
New Contributor III
I'd like to set a setting that while I create a polygon feature that it is hollow while I place vertexes, but when I'm finished with the polygon feature it is assigned the current symbol and fill color.

I hope I'm clear in what I mean.

Basically, while I edit, it has a hollow (none) fill, and when it is finished it has a set fill.

---

Reason being for this setting is because I'm placing features that are transparent and a have a line-through symbol and I need to be able to distinguish from what I've already placed based on an aerial image (so I can see where I've already put features down). But. Sometimes it's hard to see where I have to place vertexes while editing because the feature overlap where I'm supposed to put a vertex.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShaunLam
New Contributor III
This won't give you exactly what you are after, but may help.  Have you tried categorising your polygons into types (1,2,3 etc) so that when you digitise it attributes by the type ?  It won't give you the "clear polygon" for your digitising, but atleast when you finish the polygon it will symbolise and fill to the colour you want ?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShaunLam
New Contributor III
This won't give you exactly what you are after, but may help.  Have you tried categorising your polygons into types (1,2,3 etc) so that when you digitise it attributes by the type ?  It won't give you the "clear polygon" for your digitising, but atleast when you finish the polygon it will symbolise and fill to the colour you want ?
0 Kudos
RhondaGlennon
Occasional Contributor III
Are you using either ArcGIS 10 or 10.1? If so, you will see a preview of the symbology as you sketch. To see only a wireframe (as it was in ArcGIS 9), go to the Editor toolbar > Editor menu > Options > General tab and uncheck Use symbolized feature during editing. When you finish the sketch, the polygon will be symbolized with its proper fill.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Changing_the_edit_sketch_vertex_and_segment_symbols/...
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2010/10/05/preparing-a-map-for-editing-working-on-top-of-imagery/
0 Kudos
Salomon_VágadalJoensen
New Contributor III
I've done what shlam suggests, i.e. I've created 2 feature definitions, first with the fill and the 2nd with the hollow fill.

I use the 2nd feature definition for editing and placing polygon features, but use the first for displaying the features - it's a work around, but it works.
0 Kudos