Where to download address locator styles

Jump to solution
09-12-2017 05:36 AM
StewartGalloway
New Contributor III

Where can I download address locator styles?  I'd like to try a few different address locator styles but cannot find them.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Stewart,

They are part of the ArcGIS install. See this link for creating a locato and it will walk you through step by step:

Creating an address locator—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

View solution in original post

12 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
StewartGalloway
New Contributor III

Hi Robert,

I have been to that page but where do I download the style? Is it a file? Is it already somewhere within the ArcGIS install files (bin)? I have never used geocoding.

Thanks.

Stew

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Stewart,

They are part of the ArcGIS install. See this link for creating a locato and it will walk you through step by step:

Creating an address locator—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

StewartGalloway
New Contributor III

Ah, ok, I see it. thanks very much!

0 Kudos
StewartGalloway
New Contributor III

Robert,

I'd like to geocode a voter registration file. Do I have enough info to create a reference file and address locator? I have a voter registration file with names and addresses and I have a tax parcel file (Malta_rps). Please see attached.

What do I use as a Primary Table, the Voter file or the parcel file?

I've tried using US Address - Single House.

Thanks.

Stew

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Stew,

There are other people that are much more experts on this than me, I use a dual range address locator because my address point data has all the necessary data in that one featureclass I also have a parcel polygon fall back locator that is one feature class as well. I don't have much experience building a locator from two separate files. I would say as long as you have a common field that you can join the two datasets on then you might be OK. There is a lot that goes into choosing the right locator for your data and many time a lot of data manipulation / cleanup that has to happen first.

0 Kudos
StewartGalloway
New Contributor III

Ok. I'm trying it. we'll see how it goes.

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
LarryWilliams
New Contributor III

Does your Parcel Polygon locator return a polygon or a point?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Larry,

It returns a Polygon.

0 Kudos