When are noise characters going to be implemented?

09-27-2011 09:45 AM
JulieKanzler
New Contributor II
I need to ignore spaces when matching alphanumeric house numbers (e.g., "101A" matches to "101 A"). It seems like the noise characters found in the XML configuration would be the ideal way of handling this. Am I correct? But I see based on the "Customizing..." white paper that they aren't yet implemented. Anyone know when they will be implemented? Or have ideas for a work-around? Thanks!
Tags (2)
14 Replies
JulieKanzler
New Contributor II
Thanks, Brian! That was really helpful. Is there a reference where I can read about all of the XML objects and attributes used in the locator configuration file? Or at least some kind of data dictionary? I can kind of infer a bit from the names and the comments, but I have no idea (for example) when you might use one mapping_schema vs. another one. And why is this one called "...PolygonCentroid"? That is not the case for our reference data, and why should it matter for matching purposes anyway? I have tons of questions when I look at the configuration files, and just wonder if there's something I can do to understand better, without needing to reverse engineer. Thanks so much, once again.

FYI - for others reading with the same issue - to completely fix this, I needed to add some alternatives to <def name="AlphaNumericHouse">, most importantly: <elt ref="number" /><elt ref="alpha"/>
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
The only doc we have for customizing and understanding the locator xml is the "Customizing Locators in ArcGIS 10".  We will work on enhancing this in the future.

Brad
0 Kudos
DavidWarnock
New Contributor II

I wanted to resurrect this post because it's been 2 years and 11 months without any sign of better documentation. "Customizing Locators in ArcGIS 10" still claims that Noise Characters are not yet implemented. Better documentation for this is a must-have. As far as I can see, there has been no new documentation or revisions of existing documentation for nearly 4 years (the white paper is dated Nov 2010). That would be fine if the system hadn't changed, but it's obvious it has. Those of us using custom datasets or non-US address formats are basically rooting around in the dark, taking guesses at what various things do.

-David

ThibautDelaere1
Occasional Contributor

Having to edit the locator styles clients needs on regular basis it would be great to have a better (or at least) updated reference document.

Also, edits that work fine in one version of ArcGIS, do not always work in other versions. There is no documentation at all about this.

JulieKanzler
New Contributor II
Yep, I read that of course. Anyone who customizes this file at least needs a data dictionary. Thanks again.
0 Kudos