What type of coordinates are these and how do I project them?

Jump to solution
06-25-2015 05:46 AM
AndrewMeador
New Contributor III

I have been given coordinate for a GPS point and need to plot the point on our GIS system.

This is the coordinates:

39 13.532 -79 40.027

I know about the Degrees Minutes Seconds format and decimal format, but I don't know what this format is or how to import it into the system.

I can put this into Bing Maps and it comes close to the location of where the point should be, but it off by a few hundred feet. So I'm assuming it's due to differing coordinate/datum systems. I will need to get with them to verify their settings, but will need to project to our data which is NAD_1983_StatePlane_West_Virginia_North_FIPS_4701_Feet.

The main question I guess is what to do with these coordinates - I don't know how to work with this format and what's the best way to get them into the ArcMap software?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Hi Andrew,

It looks like your coordinates are in Degrees Decimal Minutes.  You will likely need to convert them to decimal degrees(not too terribly hard, do a google search for how to convert).  Then you should be able to import the lat/long into arcgis.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Hi Andrew,

It looks like your coordinates are in Degrees Decimal Minutes.  You will likely need to convert them to decimal degrees(not too terribly hard, do a google search for how to convert).  Then you should be able to import the lat/long into arcgis.

AndrewMeador
New Contributor III

Yep, I figured it out. After staring at it for a while, the degrees were obvious and it finally hit me - OH! It's giving minutes and seconds by having a fractional minute! Did the conversion and found a video showing how to import the coordinate via an Excel spreadsheet. This then allowed displaying it based on the source datum - which I assume is WGS84. It's still not where the item is supposed to be, but I'm beginning to suspect GPS Unit/User error on the collecting side. Deep wooded area with leaves on the trees - we're lucky to get a reading at all in those conditions.

Anyway, thanks!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

In the future Andrew, tell whomever gave you the coordinates to switch the display to decimal degrees...saves everyone a whole lot of grief and usually takes two thumb selections on most gps units

AndrewMeador
New Contributor III

This was a one time walk in customer - so not really possible to take this approach, and on the rare occasion that I have this happen, I would probably have to setup their GPS unit for them before they collected their data - which inherently won't happen as they don't come to me until they have their data in the first place.

0 Kudos