What is the relationship between Map Service Instances and SDE connections?

09-26-2013 10:23 AM
DeeptiPuri
New Contributor
We have a GPS project based on ArcGIS Mobile 10.0. There are two web map services and each were kept as Nonpooled with Minimum instances 15 and maximum instances 60 by original developer. The database is ORACLE and connection is made through SDE. Recently whole enterprise moved to 10.1 except GPS project which has some crashing issues with 10.1. But that led hosting of this GPS project on an old Test server.

Two incidents happened in last two weeks when the connections for GPS projects reached alarming high in few minutes (122 and 58). First time it affected the SDE server and caused total chaos- we had to kill the processes and bounce the SDE server back. Second time, we restarted the services before things out of control. I investigated the first time - only 20 GPS devices were connected that time. I am new to ArcGIS mobile and don't know SDE in detail(It is still under DBA control and I can only investigate the appserver). How will the number of SDE connections being used one time transforms to map services?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
The following weblink explains the difference between Map Service Instance and ArcSDE connection.
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/23953

The maximum number of connection can be increased using sde config -o alter command. You can refer ArcSDE command references.
Update ArcSDE Connections parameter and DBMS connection processes

At times Orphaned process can also be the culprit.
Manage orphaned ArcIMS/ArcSDE gsrvr processes
0 Kudos