What is Stock or Overflow Pit ? Is it a terminology in geography? or what is the correct word for it?

Jump to solution
04-11-2016 09:35 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I have an excel file that I have to make the join with another table that has a column listed of different kind of feature types. This was done by someone else who did gps'ed and spell that word and handed it out to me to do the spatial join with a point layer. What does Stock or Overflow Pit? Is it related to geography or geomorphology term? Is there another word that is similar to it ? I tried to google it but with no luck. I looked it up on the image on the google to find it and still have no luck. Would someone out there helped me what they are or what does it look like?

I am not sure if this is the right for in the Education .

Thanks !

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

check out the location on google earth or arcgis earth and see what it there... that would provide the best clue.  Could be near a drill site, a septic holding take, a fish pond, but it is obviously nomenclature specific to something... never heard of it associated with geomorph though

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

check out the location on google earth or arcgis earth and see what it there... that would provide the best clue.  Could be near a drill site, a septic holding take, a fish pond, but it is obviously nomenclature specific to something... never heard of it associated with geomorph though

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you. After spend some time trying to  figure it out what it is...Now I know what it is..

It is a usually has a windmill that has next to a tank with overflow on the allotment. It is mainly for feeding the cows like that...

It look like this

Panoramio - Photo of Windmill and Water Tank

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

hahaha so I was close... they had to drill a well to pump the water to that open tank... blew the cows thing though... did it show up on Google Earth or equivalent? or is the resolution to poor in that area?

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Yes you were  close. I had to ask my co-worker to check on that information and he was telling me about it. Actually I use either ArcGIS Earth and Google Earth a few places and they are hard to see because those areas are southeastern Colorado and Southwest Kansas. I will probably need to check some places to see.. I might need to check DigitalGlobe EV webhosting to see that as well.

0 Kudos