Upgraded 9.3.1 File Geodatabase to 10.0 SP1 | Used Toolbox Wizard | Unable to Connect

04-27-2011 10:31 AM
MarcusRiehl
New Contributor
I recently upgraded to ArcGIS Desktop (ArcInfo). I have a file geodatabase that was created in 9.3.1 and I wanted to upgrade it to 10.0. So, I right clicked on the geodatabase while in catalog and then to properties. In the general properties window I clicked on upgrade geodatabase to current version. The processing window went through the paces and everything appeared to be okay. Both dialog boxes were checked for running an initial check and upgrade geodatabase.

Now, I get the attached error whenever I try to view the contents of the geodatabase using ArcCatalog. I have tried to open it in V.10 ArcCatalog and V.9.3.1 ArcCatalog with no success.

I sincerely hope that there is a way to restore/fix the geodatabase outside of a backup system.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Ken_Galliher

I'm not 100% sure this will work for you, but I just tried it and I'm able to preview the features in ArcCatalog.

1.  Create a new file geodatabase, name it whatever.
2.  In windows explorer, navigate to the 9.3.1 file geodatabase folder and select everything except the "sr.lock" file and copy.
3.  Navigate to the new file geodatabase and paste everything into that folder. There are index files and other misc. files that you will choose to "Copy and replace".  If you get to a point where it tells you that something is open and can't be pasted, choose ignore or skip.

4.  Let me know what happens.
0 Kudos
MarcusRiehl
New Contributor
Nope, I did not have any luck. I first created a new file geodatabase in 10 and copied over the files...no luck. Then, I created a new file geodatabase in 9.3.1, copied over the files, and again had no luck.

Is there anything else that I can try?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: cgillgrass

Marcus,

I've never heard of or seen this exact issue with the File Geodatabase at 10. 

A few question:
- Do you have a backup of the File Geodatabase?
- I'd like to get a copy of your file geodatabase, how large is it?
0 Kudos