We have implemented ArcGIS for Server 10.3.1 with SQL Express 2008 R2.
I realized that we used the wrong program to activate SQL Express with Database_Server_Desktop_1031_145738.exe and that’s why I had “Class : ArcSDE Personal Server” in the Database Server Properties.
We updated SQL Express to manage Workgroup GDB with Database_Server_Workgroup_1031_145925.exe and everything was fine during the installation with our ArcGIS Server licence.
My issue is that my server is still recognized as a “ArcSDE Personal Server” and my geodatabase are still flagged as personal ones with “sdepersonnal…” in the AUTH_KEY field.
Does somebody know how to force ArcGIS to recognize my server as a workgroup one as it should be ?
I’ve done exactly that. I updated the registry with the Workgroup installation wizard and my AGS licence file but my server is still flagged as “ArcSDE Personnal Server”.
I believe it’s because we made the mistake to initially do it with the Desktop installation wizard and now it’s like if the Desktop keys were not properly overwritten and it’s still pointing to them, ignoring the new Workgroup setup.
Do you know in what registry keys is stored that information? Deleting the Desktop keys and redoing the Workgroup installation may fix that issue.
I would not recommend messing with the registry keys, run the Database_Server_Workgroup_1031_145925.exe and just do the "Enable geodatabase storage on SQL Server Express" and see if that corrects the behavior.
Ok, we redid the Workgroup Installation and it hasn't upgraded our server, we are still stuck with an ArcSDE Personnal Server.
Is there a tool to clean the registry to start from scratch ? I suspect that using the 10.3.1 Workgroup installation on the top of the 10.3 Desktop installation doesn't help.
After running the Workgroup setup, did you delete that connection in ArcCatalog and then re-connect?
If you want the existing Geodatabases to update to Workgroup from Personal...you will need to Detach and then Attach the geodatabases in ArcCatalog> Add Database Server, so that it recognizes the change.
Yes, I deleted everything from ArcCatalog and recreated the connections with no effets.
I also just realized that the Desktop installation was done with a 10.3 installer while the Workgroup installation was done with a 10.3.1 installer. That could be why the Desktop setup wasn't properly overwritten by the Workgroup one.
I'll redo the Workgroup installation and see if it really change something.
I understand that playing with the registry could be problematic but does it exist a tool to clean the registry for that kind of issue ?
I am not sure of any such tool which will clear out the registry, considering that this is not a orphaned registry entry as such.
I'll suggest discussing this with Esri Tech Support, so that they can do a quick screen share and help you in getting this correctly setup.
Hi everybody, that's been solved thanks to the ESRI support.
Firstly, upgrading to Workgroup server requires a keycodes or an ecp file, not the prvc file received to activate ArcGIS Server.
Secondly, we realized that our server was licensed for SDE Entreprise GDB and was therefore not able to update to SDE Workgroup GDB (but was able to update for SDE Personnal GDB ...). They created a new ECP code for my organisation and we did the activation through the Internet during the Workgroup installation which solved this issue.