Update data source for feature dataset as opposed to layer by layer

Jump to solution
10-03-2017 03:27 PM
deleted-user-sYHsW3p_gN5o
Occasional Contributor II

I'm migrating several feature datasets from file geodatabases to SDE, but the datasets are tied to several map documents. Is there a faster way to update the data source for these layers than one by one?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Move the File geodatabases from their original location. Then, when you open an MXD, the link of the database to the layers will be missing. Right-click any layer in TOC > Data > Repair Data Source. Point to the corresponding Feature Class in the Enterprise Geodatabase.

All the layers having the data source in the same Geodatabase/dataset will get restored.

Think Location

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Move the File geodatabases from their original location. Then, when you open an MXD, the link of the database to the layers will be missing. Right-click any layer in TOC > Data > Repair Data Source. Point to the corresponding Feature Class in the Enterprise Geodatabase.

All the layers having the data source in the same Geodatabase/dataset will get restored.

Think Location
deleted-user-sYHsW3p_gN5o
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you, Jayanta! I'm glad the answer is so simple. Hopefully this question can stick around to be helpful to others.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Also bookmark Rebecca'sblog. It will come really handy when you have to deal with huge number of MXDs at one go.

Think Location
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

You may want to check out my addin /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2015/08/31/python-addin-for-data-inventory-and-broken-link-repair?sr=search&searc...‌  As Jayanta mentions, you will want to move or rename the original fgdb so they show as broken.  This addin may be overkill if you only have a couple mxd, but handy if you have many.  It does have a few more utils that might help too.