Unable to load many images into raster mosaic

12-23-2013 03:51 AM
RobertBuckley
New Contributor III
Hi,

I have 1300 aerial images which I would like to combine into one single image. I have created a geodatabase raster in ArcGIS 10.0 and load the images into the raster. I have never been able to complete this task due to memory errors. The last time I tried the error message was in a window titled "ArcGIS Indexing window" and the message "System.OutOfMemoryException".

ArcGIS Advanced is installed on windows 7 with 4GB Ram.

Could anyone tell me how to get around this problem?

Yours,

RB
0 Kudos
9 Replies
by
New Contributor III
I'm no expert but have you got it set up for 64bit processing? It sounds like you're running out of memory.

Can you trying it with fewer tiles and see if it works? Maybe start with 20 and work up from there.
0 Kudos
RobertBuckley
New Contributor III
Thanks for the reply....It worked with 5 images...then I loaded about another 50 and left it overnight. In the morning I was greeted with the same old error! and 64bit Processing set-up? what´s that...and how do I do it?
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Have you tried using a Raster Mosaic Dataset?
0 Kudos
RobertBuckley
New Contributor III
Have you tried using a Raster Mosaic Dataset?

Yes...basically the same problem. But I can´t use the Mosaic Dataset because I have to make the raster image available to 9.3 users as well. I think there will be a compatibility issue.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Do you have any control over whether these users can be brought up to a more current version of ArcGIS than 9.3?
0 Kudos
RobertBuckley
New Contributor III
Do you have any control over whether these users can be brought up to a more current version of ArcGIS than 9.3?

No...they are external groups.
0 Kudos
GeospatialTechnology
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the reply....It worked with 5 images...then I loaded about another 50 and left it overnight. In the morning I was greeted with the same old error! and 64bit Processing set-up? what´s that...and how do I do it?

Here..

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/10/31/announcing-64-bit-geoprocessing/

Ah you're using 10.0. I think you've ran into the limits of 32 bit processing.
0 Kudos
by
New Contributor III
Also read the performance considerations paragraph at the bottom of this webpage

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00210000003q000000
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
No...they are external groups.

Do you have ArcGIS Server with Image Extension?  The Image Extension allows you to publish mosaic datasets to ArcGIS Server as either a map or image service.  ArcGIS Desktop 9.3 will be able to consume these 10.0 services.

If you do not have ArcGIS Server with this extension, can you provide some more details?

1.  What type of rasters are you trying to mosaic (i.e. SIDs, TIFFs, etc)?
2.  What type of geodatabase are you trying to mosaic these rasters to (i.e. File, Personal, SDE)?
0 Kudos