Unable to detach geodatabase from ArcSDE without closing and reopening ArcCatalog

01-30-2013 09:10 AM
WilliamKirchhoff
New Contributor II
All,

When I try to detach a geodatabase from my ArcSDE SQL Server Express instance  get an error stating the geodatabase is in use -which it is not.  If I close ArcCatalog and reopen it I can then go ahead and detach the geodatabase.  Doable, but a pain - anyone know of a way around this?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ShannonShields
Esri Contributor
What version of ArcGIS are you using? There has been a fix to address this issue - I'd have to check to see exactly which version it is in.

-Shannon
0 Kudos
WilliamKirchhoff
New Contributor II
Shannon,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, thanks for the reply.  I'm using ArcGIS 10.0, Service Pack 5 on a Win 7 workstation.  I have an ArcInfo level license.  I have administrator permission to the SQL Server Express Ed. w/ Advanced Services - ArcSDE Personal Server version 10.0.5500.0. 
While my initial problem was with ArcCatalog, I have also noticed that I am unable to manage geodatabases using ArcObjects.  The 4GB limitation imposed on SQL Server Express means I have to swap out geodatabases regularly.  I have attempted to do this programmatically using the IDataServerManagerAdmin.DetachGeodatabase method, but I get the same response - the error message effectively tells me that someone else is connected to the geodatabase, even though there is no one else on the system.
0x80040E14 HRESULT = -2147217900, which I believe leads me to geodatabase extension code, but there is no specific error code listed for this value.
Appreciate any help you can offer.
0 Kudos