Trouble with Attribute Transfer Tool

04-23-2013 05:43 AM
ScottHarrison
New Contributor
I have two shapefiles and am trying to copy attibutes from one shapefile to the other. I've used this tool many times, but obviously I'm doing something wrong this time and can't figure it out. I'm using version 10 ArcMap.

Both shapefiles have identical fields in the data tables. I used the 'attribute transfer mapping' tool to select my source and target fields. Both shapefiles are selectable. Both shapefiles are in the same editable workspace. I use the 'attribute transfer tool' to select the source feature and it flashes, but when I click the destination feature nothing happens.

I can copy the attributes from the source feature and paste them into the target feature, but for some reason the 'attibute transfer tool' will not work. What could I be doing wrong.

Thanks,

Scott Harrison
Sardis, MS
Tags (2)
11 Replies
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
It's possible that if the transferring click is in an area where the source and target polygons overlap, and both are selectable, that it would fail to transfer attributes.  If so I try to find a non-overlap area in the target poly or after clicking on the source poly I turn it off as a selectable layer before clicking on the target poly.

Another possibility is just plain old ArcMap funkiness.  If you take your layers into a new project you might be able to make it work.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Another possibility is just plain old ArcMap funkiness. 

I like that.  Perhaps there needs to be a Forum Heading: 

Funky Funky Funky ArcGIS
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ScottHarrison
New Contributor
If you take your layers into a new project you might be able to make it work

I suppose I will try this. Actually, I'm working with polyline features that practically sit atop one another. What I've tried is turning off each layer in the table of contents when I select from one layer or the other, but I haven't actually made one or the other unselectable.

It's just frustrating because I've used this tool many, many times with no hangups. I'm new to version 10, though, so perhaps there are some bugs.

Thanks for the replies!!

Scott Harrison
Sardis, MS
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III
Just encountered the same problem - everything was setup correctly but the tools wasn't working at all - not even flashing features when I clicked them.
Solution - this was a new untitled mxd. I saved and closed the mxd, re-opened and the tool begun to work.

"ArcGIS user is a master of workarounds..."
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
As a Funky Funky Funky ArcGIS Master workaround, could you make a temporary feature in both layers that don't overlap, perform the function and then delete them?
0 Kudos
ChristineSeidel
New Contributor III
Hi Folks -- I just wanted to add that I'm using version 10.1 and using the attribute transfer tool with overlapping features (parcels to building footprint) is working fine.  However, both layers must be selectable.

Cheers,
-Chris
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi all, it sounds like you are using the interactive Transfer Attributes tool. We are prototyping some conflation tools, including an automated way to match features and transfer attributes (post inspection may be necessary). If you are interested in sharing a sample test data, please post here or email me at dlee@esri.com. Thanks!
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello everyone,

I just want to share the good news with you: we have released a set of Conflation tools in ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.1. They are geoprocessing tools in Editing toolbox - Conflation toolset. One of them is Transfer Attributes. Others are Generate Rubbersheet Links, Rubbersheet Features, Generate Edgematch Links, and Edgematch Features. Also in Data Management toobox - Data Comparison toolset, there is a new tool Detect Feature Changes.

Please check them out. Hope they help reduce your manual work.  🙂

We continue making enhancements in future releases; your feedback would be very appreciated (dlee@esri.com).

Thanks!
JakubSisak

Previous problem - Attribute Transfer simply not transferring attributes. Solution to previous problem: create a new mxd and copy all layers over, start editing and create a new mapping. Works fine

New problem - Attribute Transfer tool switches source and target whereas it transfer attributes from target to source not from source to target. Solution to new problem: Same as before - create new mxd, copy layers over, re-map attribute transfer. Works fine

Conclusion: There is something broken in the mxd structure that causes the attribute transfer tool to malfunction. Creating a new mxd, copying layers over solves the problem until such time that it no longer works at which point a new mxd must be created yet again.  Note: mxdDoctor does not correct the issue, a new mxd document must be created for this workaround.

0 Kudos