Trouble Deleting Domains

12-02-2011 09:03 AM
TomKoritansky
New Contributor
Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble deleting a domain list from my file geodatabase.  When I try to delete to domain I get an error that says:

"Failed to a delete domain from the database. 
The domain was not found.
The domain was not found. [name of domain]"

I also cannot add any new entries to the domain or change the domain name and description; I get a similar error that says:

"Failed to update a domain.
The domain was not found.
The domain was not found."

The domain is not attached to any attribute fields.

One thing I noticed was that if I try to edit the domain name a box symbol appears at the end of the domain name when cursor is in the window to type more text.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
19 Replies
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Was the database was created in version 10.5?

Is it being used in some services in ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Server?

~Shan
0 Kudos
GeorgiyYaroslavtsev
New Contributor

Yes, it was created in 10.5 version.

And it is not using and wasn't used in Online or Server services, but feature classes from geodatabase is planned for publication to the Portal in the future.

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

Is the database stored locally on the machine or on a shared network drive?

~Shan
0 Kudos
GeorgiyYaroslavtsev
New Contributor

It's on the shared network drive.

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

Just for testing purposes can you copy it locally and then try to delete the domain?

~Shan
0 Kudos
GeorgiyYaroslavtsev
New Contributor

Sorry for delay...
I have not access to do this locally.

But I think, explanation of the problem by Rex Robichaux corresponds to my situation.
Actually I have copied domain name for this domain from Excel table.

0 Kudos
RexRobichaux2
Occasional Contributor II

Depending upon the way the domains / domain names were originally entered I have seen this behavior when a domain exists that has a carriage return present. This typically occurs when domain names are copied from sources like Microsoft Excel where carriage returns may be hidden and often times they are not immediately visible when viewing domain properties within ArcCatalog. There is a defect addressing this behavior for Oracle enterprise geodatabases (but it might well affect file geodatabases as well). If values have been copied / pasted opposed to manually entered for domain names- I'd consider this a high possibility:

BUG-000091839:

Updating or deleting a domain created with a carriage return returns the error, "Failed to update one of the domains. The domain was not found."

0 Kudos
Bartee_Emily__KYTC_
New Contributor II

Thank you for explaining the why - that is helpful in avoiding this in the future.  That being said, how do we delete the domain?  Is it possible?  I'd appreciate any feedback and thank you, 

Emily

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You may want to consider using X-Ray to dump the geodatabase structure, modify it, and reload the data into the fixed copy.  

X-Ray for ArcCatalog

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9ea218ff575f4a5195e01a2cae03a0ae 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I have the same problem. Is there a good solution or workround for this? Because the Geodatabase I manage and cause this problems is with replica and very large and important to just export and import for X-Ray to change the structure.

TiinaArras1_0-1652795309167.png

BR,

Tiina

0 Kudos