There was an error trying to process this table.

25271
44
07-18-2013 10:31 AM
JustinTomei
New Contributor II
I have a dataset of about 32000 addresses I have been trying to geocode. Time after time I keep getting the same error message, the one in the title of this thread. I have changed names of columns, tried making it a dbf, tried removing everything but the address information, splitting the data in half to make it smaller. Regardless of what I do i get anywhere from 1%-5% done and I get the error.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Tags (2)
44 Replies
JenniferCrawford1
New Contributor II

Back to basics in this comment... does anyone know where to find an example of how a table should be formatted? Like, I assume I can start in excel and if I follow all the right rules it will come in, but for the life of me I can't find any instructions in the ESRI help for what the input table should look like! From skimming this thread, it seems like I need headers of some sort? No spaces in the header? Can addresses themselves have spaces? Help! I can't get past 0% 

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Jennifer:

If you are using Excel spreadsheets as the input table for geocoding the following help topic will help get you on your way.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/excel/work-with-excel-in-arcgis-pro.htm

Here are some other resources for tables:

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/tables/defining-tables.htm#GUID-C2CB2F27-352A-48A2-A863-F9E45DBD11E9

-Shana

0 Kudos
AgnesCikowska-Teczar
New Contributor

My solution was to geocode into a gdb and not a shp.  I used an xlsx sheet and a csv.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Agnes:

It's possible that there was a field type in your table that was not supported by shapefile format, which could explain why using a file gdb for geocode output worked.

0 Kudos
VictoriaBeckley1
New Contributor II

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to add to this conversation. I was receiving this error when trying to geocode a csv to a feature class:

And I went through a variety of steps to try to resolve:

- checked field names

- checked for weird characters in the addresses

But then I tried exporting as a shapefile instead of a feature class and it worked great. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos