The process I've used for creating raster datasets in 10.1 doesn't work in 10.2. Why?

09-24-2013 08:47 AM
ToddMacPherson
New Contributor II
Hello

The process that I have always used to create large raster sets in 10.1 does not work in 10.2 and I do not know why.

The process was as follows:

- Create a file geodatabase
- Create a new empty raster dataset
- Set the Spatial Reference
- Set number of bands to 3

In 10.2 it creates the empty set correctly but when I try and add multiple .img files to it using 'Load Data' the progress bar flashes across the screen in the blink of an eye and is always 0%. It runs through each raster quickly saying 'Loading Raster1.img' etc. It completes in seconds with no errors. However when I try to display it, I get a blank screen.

Doing this process the exact same way with 10.1, it works flawlessly. It adds each img to the dataset and displays perfectly.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks

THM
0 Kudos
16 Replies
ToddMacPherson
New Contributor II
This is weird. I just discovered that in 10.2, if I create a personal geodatabase and then follow the steps; then it works. It always worked as a file geodatabase in 10.1 but not 10.2.

Can anyone tell me why?

I am using ArcGIS Desktop and Win 7 64-bit in both cases.

Thanks

THM
0 Kudos
JacobRaymond
New Contributor III
I have also found this at 10.2.  I am currently working with ESRI Canada technical support on this however I can't seem to convince them that it is even an issue.  I have given my tech support guy 2 identical geodatabases where I loaded rasters into a raster dataset, 1 was a 10.1 file geodatabase that worked fine and another was a 10.2 file geodatabase that contained only "No Data" for the cell values and displayed a white screen.  He seems to think this is acceptable somehow.

Not impressed at all.
JacobRaymond
New Contributor III
I have also found this at 10.2.  I am currently working with ESRI Canada technical support on this however I can't seem to convince them that it is even an issue.  I have given my tech support guy 2 identical geodatabases where I loaded rasters into a raster dataset, 1 was a 10.1 file geodatabase that worked fine and another was a 10.2 file geodatabase that contained only "No Data" for the cell values and displayed a white screen.  He seems to think this is acceptable somehow.

Not impressed at all.

This also does not work with SDE at 10.2, it only seems to work in a personal geodatabase.  The funny thing is that my SDE is still at 10.1, so it looks like it's something that desktop is doing at 10.2, not a problem with the actual geodatabases.
0 Kudos
ToddMacPherson
New Contributor II
Tech support says no data in the cells is not a problem? 😕 To me this is now a known bug. Come on ESRI this is not acceptable. I have wasted a week on this before going back to 10.1.
ToddMacPherson
New Contributor II

Not impressed at all.

Please keep us informed of your progress.
0 Kudos
JacobRaymond
New Contributor III
Please keep us informed of your progress.

Well so far not a whole lot of progress other than I finally convinced ESRI canada technical support to open up a case with ESRI US technical support.  My Canadian tech support guy clearly does not understand the issue as he is insisting that my issue has to do with statistics not being calculated on my source data which (a) I've never had to worry about in the past and (b) Just to humour him I did actually calculate stats on my source data and it made no difference, but he still says that's the problem. 

The maddening part for me is that I have to go through ESRI canada technical support which is in the past has been beyond useless when it comes to actually solving problems for me.  If I could just talk to someone in Redlands about this I'm sure I could get a whole lot further a whole lot faster, but instead I have to play this ridiculous telephone game where I tell the guy in Toronto my problem who then has to call the guy in Redlands and tell him the problem as he understands it.

I'm thinking of just downgrading to 10.1 if I don't get answers soon as I just have to get this work done and don't have the time to wait for someone to acknowledge that the workflows I have been using for the past 8 years are actually broken now.
ToddMacPherson
New Contributor II
Thanks for chasing this. A bug is a bug.

THM
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Can you please indicate more about your input data. I see you mentioned 3 band, but not bit depth or anything else about the input rasters?  Usually 3 band rasters are either 8 bit or 16 bit.  Based on your experience, I am guessing that they are 16 bit, because they are usually usually the more problematic.  Can you indicate if the issue is with 16 bit inputs or 8 bit? Also can you indicate what bit depth you are setting on the input raster?  I tested here with some imgs that I had that were 8 bit and they are fine.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Upon further review, I was able to re create the issue and found a work around.  What I did was instead of using the Create Raster Dataset to create an empty dataset, I used the Copy Raster tool to create a copy in the file geodatabase.  Once the copy was created, I was able to use the mosaic tool to merge in the remaining 4 band 16 bit imgs.  Hope this helps.
0 Kudos