The physical location of oracle and sqlserver database on the hard drive,

12-17-2012 08:23 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
The physical location of oracle and sqlserver database on the hard drive,

It is wonderful that in case of sql server database, we are still able to store our mdf database in any location of the hard drive, all what we need is to attach this mdf file to the sql server then it will be seen when making connection through the �??database connections�?� in the ArcGIS as shown in the screenshot below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20006[/ATTACH]

My issue now is related to Oracle. How can we choose the physical location of the database to be in a particular location and still we can manage to make connection to it from the ArcGIS? Is the folder �??orcl�?� can be saved anywhere on the hard drive such that we can make connection to it from the ArcGIS?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20007[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]20008[/ATTACH]

Thank you for the help,

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: blin26

Hi Jamal,

You can use another GP tool -> Enable Enterprise Geodatabase to create ArcSDE geodatabase system tables, stored procedures, functions, types and etc. In that case, you can previously design the Oracle tablespace/datafile locations to any physical directories that you want.

Please refer to following web help documents for more details.

-> Enabling geodatabase functionality in an Oracle database

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Enabling_geodatabase_functionality_in_an_O...

Thanks,
Ben
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

You can use another GP tool -> Enable Enterprise Geodatabase to create ArcSDE geodatabase system tables, stored procedures, functions, types and etc. In that case, you can previously design the Oracle tablespace/datafile locations to any physical directories that you want.

Please refer to following web help documents for more details.

-> Enabling geodatabase functionality in an Oracle database

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Enabling_geodatabase_functionality_in_an_O...

Thanks,
Ben

Thank you for the contribution Ben,

I�??ll try it and see if it works with me.

Basically, my understanding for the �??Enable Enterprise Geodatabase�?� is that it is used in case we have an existing database (oracle/sql server/etc.) and it is required to supply them with the repository tables! And in this case it has nothing to do with the location of the Oracle database, for example.

As for the sql database, this is quite simple. At the end of the day, the database is simply a file that can be attached to any sql server and thin connected to the ArcGIS.

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos