�??Synchronize changes�?� input: Geodatabase 1, replica, Geodatbase 2,

12-29-2012 12:39 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
�??Synchronize changes�?� input: Geodatabase 1, replica, Geodatbase 2, ,

I got confused regarding the inputs of the �??synchronize changes�?� tool

�?� Preliminary, I created the replica (from S database to E database) with the inputs shown in the screenshots below

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20296[/ATTACH]

�?� The structure of the geodatabase �??geodatabase to replicate data to�?� (which is named E) is:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20297[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]20298[/ATTACH]

�?� Now I got confused regarding the inputs of the �??Synchronize changes�?� tool:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20299[/ATTACH]

�?� And thus the changes on the copy (E database) are not reflected on the original data (S database)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20300[/ATTACH]

Where might my mistake be ?

Thank you for the help

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: 4175

Jamal,

Once the replica is created, it doesn't matter which one you specify as GDB1 or GDB2.  The important part is what you specify as the sync direction which will determine where the data changes are going. 

In your case, you edited E, and wanted to sync those changes to S.  You filled the Sync tool out just fine - the sync direction was set to "Both_Directions" which means that any changes in E will get synced to S, and also any changes in S will get synced to E.

However - you aren't seeing the updates you expect.

Wondering if your edits are "outside" your replica extent.  This could mean the spatial extent, if you had any filters on the layers.
Or perhaps you just need to call refresh on the version in your map doc (Add versioning toolbar, and use the Refresh Version on the workspace that you expect to see the changes in).

-Heather
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Jamal,

Once the replica is created, it doesn't matter which one you specify as GDB1 or GDB2.  The important part is what you specify as the sync direction which will determine where the data changes are going. 

In your case, you edited E, and wanted to sync those changes to S.  You filled the Sync tool out just fine - the sync direction was set to "Both_Directions" which means that any changes in E will get synced to S, and also any changes in S will get synced to E.

However - you aren't seeing the updates you expect.

Wondering if your edits are "outside" your replica extent.  This could mean the spatial extent, if you had any filters on the layers.
Or perhaps you just need to call refresh on the version in your map doc (Add versioning toolbar, and use the Refresh Version on the workspace that you expect to see the changes in).

-Heather

Thank you Heather for the very integrated and useful answer. It did work perfectly. Your elaboration made my life easier. The issue was with the �??refresh�?� button.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20349[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]20350[/ATTACH]

As the Synchronization is done at the level of databases (here between E and S), then how the Parent/child relation is involved? In my understanding, the Parent/child is managed at the level of the database itself but not between different databases. I referred to the help but got more confused.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20351[/ATTACH]

So, in this case, do we pay attention regarding the structure of Parent/child relation in S and E databases? How is this related to the Synchronization? what about its effect?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20352[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]20353[/ATTACH]

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos