Subtype or New featureclass for better performance

Jump to solution
12-29-2014 05:08 AM
SreejaS
New Contributor II

Hello,

We have a scenario that New data has to be uploaded in the database and presented in multiple applications - desktop, web and mobile.

My question is there are 2 options to upload this data

1. As a subtype to existing featureclass and present as part of the existing layer.

2. As a new featureclass and present as a new feature layer.

Which of the above options is better with respect to performance (map loading, navigation, spatial querying)?

Thanks in Advance

Sresree

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Sreeja,

since it is such a vast amount of features, I would create new feature classes.

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey Sreeja,

How many features would this particular data have? How many features would the feature service have that you would in cooperate the new data?

I think it really depends on the quantity and size of the feature services, that you would be using.

Tim

SreejaS
New Contributor II

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

There are 2 layers - one point and another polygon.

The new points are around a lakh.

The existing points are in tens of lakhs.

The new polygons are in thousands.

The existing polygons are around tens of thousands.

Which approach would benefit performance of the overall application presenting new and existing data?

Regards

Sreeja.

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Sreeja,

since it is such a vast amount of features, I would create new feature classes.

Tim

0 Kudos
SreejaS
New Contributor II

Hello Tim,

Thank you for the reply. But this data is part of a Geometric Network. The question we have is will it hamper the performance of the network if we add a new layer than a subtype to an existing featureclass?

Thanks & Regards

Sreeja S.

0 Kudos
MarcelaRondon
Occasional Contributor

Hello Sreeja, which option did you use and how was the performance of the network?

0 Kudos
SreejaS
New Contributor II

Hello,

Not sure if I am too late in answering this. We opted a new feature class. Performance of geometric network has come down but the decision was not purely based on performance alone, but on several other criteria. A new layer in the network is expected to bring down performance. More details can be found at http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//002r00000004000000

ArcGIS Help 10.1

Thanks & Regards

Sreeja S.

0 Kudos