Step by Step instructions for adding a topology to an SDE database dataset that has versions and distributed data.

01-19-2015 02:27 PM
deleted-user-rmQdIupSdOqe
New Contributor III

We set up an SDE database with 3 versions and 1 2- way distributed version.  We later decided that we would like some of the distibuted data that is in a feature dataset to participate in a topology.

I am searching for the best practices way to add the topology to the parent database  with a little pain as possible. I would prefer to not have to recreate my distributed dataset.  I have some ideas, but I would welcome suggestions from an experienced user.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Probably not what you are looking for but I stay away from feature datasets in the SDE environment.  They have a tendency to misbehave.  My experience (going back to v. 8.0) with multiple versions has been less than stellar as well: when it comes to reconciling it about drove me mad trying to unravel conflicts.

That said, my experience with replication has mostly been outstanding: you might want to look at one way replication to a file geodatabase and let the feature datasets and topologies reside there.

Just my $00.02....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos