Staying in an attribute field when switch to & from ArcGIS causes a load table error

05-06-2011 02:10 AM
TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III
Dear all

I am currently experiencing an issue when editing an attribute table and I was wondering if any one else can replicate the same issue?

I am using ArcGIS 10 SP2 and the data is held in an SDE which is 9.3.1.

1. I have Select by attributes up;
2. I run a select query;
3. I have show only selected rows in my attribute table;
4. This may just bring up a single row of data;
5. I edit a value in one field the single row of the attribute table;
6. Without clicking outside of the field I've edited, I press ALT+TAB and switch to Excel
7. In Excel I read the next value I need to change
8. Using ALT+TAB I switch back to ArcGIS
9. I amend the SQL in the select by attribute window and hit apply
10. This then brings up the following error message:
"Loading table data

Could not load data from the data source. If you can correct the problem, press the refresh button to reload data. Possible problems can include bad network connection, invalid field, etc."

The records then appear but with nothing showing in the fields. If I switch back to view all records they appear with all the other records but not when I then switch back to show selected fields only. The only way to resolve the issue is to save the database and then they appear.

This doesn't occur if I click out of the attribute field after editing a value or if I go straight from editing a value to using the Select by attribute window. Only if I go away from ArcGIS in-between doing both tasks when still within an attribute field.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ForrestJones
Esri Contributor
Hi Tim,

This turns out to be a bug. Here's the nim. You can contact support if you need more info on it:

NIM067949: Switching back and forth between another application and ArcMap can cause the table to fail to load while editing.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Tim,

This turns out to be a bug. Here's the nim. You can contact support if you need more info on it:

NIM067949: Switching back and forth between another application and ArcMap can cause the table to fail to load while editing.

Thanks!

Thanks FJ for doing that. It's not the only issue I have with the attribute tables losing the link until save is hit but it's the one I could replicate every time because I knew all steps that would cause it.

Others occur randomly enough for me not to be able to identify the steps that cause them. However that fixing that issue might resolve other issues with the attribute table.

Kind regards

Tim
0 Kudos