SRTM HGT raster in ArcGIS 10 - how to convert

07-18-2012 10:30 AM
deleted-user-IR249IovB3CN
New Contributor III
I think I am missing something here. I have found older (~8 yrs) threads about needing to rename the file extension of the .hgt files obtained from the SRTM data site to .bil and then creating header files for each raster. Is this still the process for using SRTM data in ArcMap? I've found a few older programs (GDAL, LandSerf, various .exe's) to convert but haven't had any luck with them. Since these posts and applications are so old I'm wondering if I have missed a more recent simple solution. I have downloaded V2 30 m SRTM data from the data access site http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/ as well as .bil files directly from USGS's Earth Explorer.  Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.
Matt
0 Kudos
6 Replies
CarrieDavis
Occasional Contributor
Hi Matt,

You should be able to open and work with the SRTM *.hgt raster files directly in ArcMap in version 10.  You may need to calculate statistics, but other than that no name changes need to be made.  Below is our online documentation about supported raster formats.

Supported Raster file formats:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//009t0000000q000000

If you are having an issue with opening these rasters please contact Esri Support at 888-377-4575.

Best wishes,  Carrie
0 Kudos
JohnPhillips
New Contributor
So I have the same issue, but ArcMap is not opening my files. I also tried with R, but that didn't work either.

What do you mean by 'calculate statistics'? I have no idea how that statement is even applicable to this situation, but that might be why it isn't working for me.

I know this thread is a couple years old, but please respond.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
JeffreyEvans
Occasional Contributor III
You are being a bit sparse in details. The rgdal package in R will read "hgt" files. Since ArcGIS uses a modified version of GDAL it should also support this format.

How is the software "not reading the data"? Is it not displaying? Are you getting an error? ArcGIS needs basic statistics of the raster in order to display it. If you navigate to the raster in ArcCatalog, right click on it and select "Calculate Statistics" this will allow you to display it. You could also select "Export > Raster to Different Format..." in the context menu to covert it to a raster format easier to work with.
0 Kudos
JohnPhillips
New Contributor
Figured it out on my own, but thank you.
0 Kudos
Jan-HendrikKeet
New Contributor
Hi johngphillips,

Please tell me how you did it. I am having the same problem. Downloaded some SRTM data (in .hgt format) and ArcMAP 10 doesn't want to open it (even though Carrie says it should be able to open in ArcMAP 10). I only get the message "Invalid raster dataset. Failed to create raster layer".

After renaming it to .bil and creating the header file, I am no better off. Please tell me what you did.

Regards,
Jan
0 Kudos
VijaiLal2
New Contributor

Hi Jan,

Did you manage to bring .hgt data in ArcGIS 10? . I could bring it, Add Data > xx.hgt , that's it. maybe i am using ArcGIS 10.2.2. Try updating your lic.  

If you need to group your input raster based on some elevation then use "calculate statics"  available in Data Management > Raster > Raster Properties .. Don't ask me the technical reason behind this, sorry..

I know its too late to answer you,  but still worth sharing my experience for newcomers..

Regards,

Vijai Lal

0 Kudos