Splitting a whole line

03-15-2013 01:10 AM
AriadnaP
New Contributor
HI!

Is there another way to split the WHOLE line by distance? By using the Editor - Split in ArcGis 10.1, it only splits the first segment, and I have to keep repeating the same process for the whole line, that is, I want to split a line every 10m for example.

For what I've read it seems I should download this IPolyline.SplitAtDistance tool? or the SplitAtLength. But how do I do that? these links only lead me to command steps but I would need to know how/where to download it and use it from ArcMap Interface...

Thank you for your help
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MatthewPayne
Esri Contributor
Hi Ariadna,

You should be able to enter an Editing session, select a specific line, choose the Editor drop down > Construct Points.  Make sure you have an empty point shapefile/feature class in your map.  Choose that point layer as the target, then choose the Distance option with your desired distance.  This will create a point on the line every X units that you choose.

Next you can use the Split Lines at Point tool from the Data Management > Features toolset from ArcToolbox.  You may have to play around with it a bit to get it to run 100% smoothly but this should accomplish your workflow.

Matt
0 Kudos
AriadnaP
New Contributor
Thanks Matt! it works great... although I thought it could be made with just one step, as I did with the option "Divide" in ArcGis9.3.
0 Kudos
MatthewPayne
Esri Contributor
Ariadna,

The Split tool would be a 1-step process.  But it looks like to get your segments all a specific length, not worrying about the total number of segments, it would not be the best option. Split will let you choose one distance, a number of equal parts, or a percentage of the length.  I believe it does not allow you to choose a distance for multiple segments because of the fact that the total length of the line divided by the length you choose will not always come out evenly.  Therefore, that last segment could not meet the criteria of your specified length parameter and would be invalid.

Using Construct Points allows you to do this because it places a point every X distance until it cannot anymore and runs out of space.  Following that up with the Split Lines at Points tool will then produce the individual segments between points.

Matt
0 Kudos
AriadnaP
New Contributor
Matt,

yes, I totally agree with this point. But as I mentioned earlier, in ArcGis9.3, the "Divide" option would split the whole line at the specified distance, although, as you said, accounting generally for a final uneven fragments, which was fine. It had the same wanted output as I do now, but in just one step.

my explanation might not be the best, sorry, but let's say you had a 93 meters line you want to split each 10 meters, I would come up with 10 fragments, 9 of 10m each and 1 of 3m, which is what I am interested in doing with the line.

I was just thinking that a similar tool as "Divide" with the "Split" one, if an extended option of split by distance of multiple segments regardless of the final unevenness, could be made. does it make sense?

anyways, I'm satisfied with my outcome now, just a suggestion.

thank you!

Ariadna
0 Kudos
CharlesRichardson1
New Contributor
There is a tool in OCGO toolbar called Proportion! This will solve your purpose of dividing the line at assigned intervals.
0 Kudos
AriadnaP
New Contributor
There is a tool in OCGO toolbar called Proportion! This will solve your purpose of dividing the line at assigned intervals.

I have seen this tool, but it's not the best way to work for me.
Let's say I have a line 1000 m long, I want it to divided into 10m segments, with "Proportion", at least for how I've tried it, you need to introduce the length you want everytime, so I would be typing 100 times 10 for my purpose. And I have plenty of other lines to do the same with.
Thanks though.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Ariadna,
You can also try the Divide line by length add-in up on arcgis.com
0 Kudos
AriadnaP
New Contributor
I have seen this tool, but it's not the best way to work for me.
Let's say I have a line 1000 m long, I want it to divided into 10m segments, with "Proportion", at least for how I've tried it, you need to introduce the length you want everytime, so I would be typing 100 times 10 for my purpose. And I have plenty of other lines to do the same with.
Thanks though.

Hey, I didn't realize about the "number of duplicate lengths" option, so that works pretty good too then.
Thanks!
0 Kudos