Spatial view of union of feature classes

01-15-2011 09:01 PM
sheebaashraf
New Contributor
I want to create a spatial view that should contain the Union of all featureclass's. e,g
If we have a  4 feature classes each containing 10 features my view should contain 40 features
Pertinently I have to spatial and attribute query on this view.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
This may be possible, if you have the right combination of client, database, storage
method, topology, and indexing parameters, but it's not likely to be very efficient.

What is your environment like? How are your tables & layer defined? Are any of the
tables versioned? What would your ideal view look like?

- V
0 Kudos
sheebaashraf
New Contributor
I'm using

1. Arcgis 10
2. Arcsde 10
3. Ms sql 2008

And at tha application side i'm using flex 2.0 apis

- V
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
You cannot create a spatial view (use 'sdetable -o create_view') to generate a UNION ALL query,
and you cannot UNION ALL layers with SDEBINARY storage, but you may be able to register such
a view on GEOMETRY or GEOGRAPHY storage with 'sdelayer -o register' or simply access it with
query layers, but only if the geometries share a single topology class and the id columns are
unique across the joined tables.

Generally speaking, if all the features share the same attributes, topology, and coordinate system,
they belong in the same table.  Views can then used to efficiently extract logical subsets.

- V
0 Kudos
MichaelGinzburg
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

Is this possible with 10.7?

How do I create such a view? Should I create a UNION ALL view with SQL and then register?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael

Check this: Views in an enterprise geodatabase—Geodatabases in Oracle | ArcGIS Desktop 

You can create it in SQL or with GP.

Have Fun

Mody

0 Kudos