Source locator was moved and I can't rematch addresses to an existing geocoding resul

592
3
11-01-2011 03:59 AM
Occasional Contributor
Due to some server restructuring, the source locator that I used to perform a geocode has moved.  When i attempt to rematch addresses I get the following error:

"There was an error reading the geocoding information from this dataset". 

The locator still exists, just in a different location.  Is there a way to repoint the locator's location, or do I have to do this all over again?
Tags (2)
Reply
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Due to some server restructuring, the source locator that I used to perform a geocode has moved. When i attempt to rematch addresses I get the following error: 

"There was an error reading the geocoding information from this dataset".  

The locator still exists, just in a different location. Is there a way to repoint the locator's location, or do I have to do this all over again?


Try rebuilding it. I'm not sure if it'll give you the option to provide the path to the data or not.

[edited moments later...]

I had an old locator on my home system and moved the source data to a different directory. Then I checked the locator in ArcCatalog, and it had the dreaded red ! next to the source. All I did was re-point it and it filled in the blanks for me. I'm using 9.3.1; ymmv..... Oh, I always like to use 'relative paths' for my locators as well...
Reply
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the information, but I believe I might not have been clear enough in where my problem lies.  The source data for the locator is not the issue, rather the locator for the geocoded results (which I saved as a snapshot in a personal geodatabase).  The locator was moved to a different server, not the data used to build the locator.  Now when I try to rematch addresses in the "snapshot" geocoding results, I cannot because it can't find the locator orginally used to geocode the table.
Reply
0 Kudos
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Oops. Sorry about that. Your post does say source locator!

I think you will need to start over but I certainly wouldn't re match everythingthing. Extract those records that don't meet your standards for a match, write them to a table and geocode them. My guess is you've probably 'fixed' a number of no-hits; no sense getting paid single time for double work!

Hope this helps.
Reply
0 Kudos