Some problems with st_geometry in ArcSDE 10.0 SP3 - crashes and sdegroup -o not work

11-07-2012 03:06 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: aguan@hess.com

We recently upgraded SDE to 10.0 SP3 (Oracle 10.2.0.4), and migrated over 200 feature classes to st_geometry spatial type. But "sdegroup -o create" failed to create a group feature class if st_geometry is the target spatial type (the source feature class is in st_geometry). I have to change to use sdebinary to make the command work. Does anybody know why?

We also experienced occasional arcmap crashes when labeling a few feature classes that were migrated to st_geometry. After recreating them in sdebinary spatial type, the crashes stopped. Anybody experienced such problems?

Allen Guan
0 Kudos
4 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
You've got a number of issues here...

From what release/SP did you upgrade?

My clients all left Oracle 10gR2 after support by Oracle was terminated years ago.
SDEBINARY is no longer supported because Oracle doesn't support LONG RAW;
at this late date you should be using SDELOB as an alternate to ST_GEOMETRY,
if necessary.

You should probably inspect the documented fixes for SP4 and SP5 to see if 'sdegroup'
functionality was adressed.  If the software doesn't work, you should contact Tech
Support to create an incident, though any fix would likely be post-SP5.

If 'sdegroup' relies on SM_ENVP_BY_GRID (spatial index order), using ST_GEOMETRY
with it might be suspect until 10.1 SP1.  I haven't done any testing recently, but
SM_ENVP_BY_GRID hasn't functioned as documented very often of late.

- V
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mkennedy

From what I can see, sdegroup doesn't obviously use SM_ENVP_BY_GRID.

I did find what looks like the same issue in the bug system: NIM076169

"There is an error while creating an sdegroup layer: Actual geometry column and geometry storage type do not match."

Further details are:

System Configuration:  Windows 7, ArcSDE 10 SP3 for Oracle 11.2.0.2

Run sdegroup on a feature class with either ST_GEOMETRY or SDO_GEOMETRY.

Fails with the following error:

Layer Creation Error -114
sde_error -51
ext_error -114
err_msg1 Actual geometry column and geometry storage type do not match
err_msg2

Error: Operation Failed(1).
        Error: Cannot Create Target Layer.

I'm not seeing any ST_Geometry-specific crashes except 2 related to the layer having nil/null features. The crashes occurred during some network analyst processing and a copy/paste in ArcCatalog.

Melita
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: aguan@hess.com

Thanks a lot for the help.

We are at Oracle 10.2.0.4. The upgrade was from ArcSDE 9.3.1 SP2 to ArcSDE 10.0 SP3 (ArcGIS Desktop is 10.0 SP3)  I don't get any specific error message when using sdegroup command, except it quickly said it failed. When I  changed to using sdebinary, it is ok. Anyway, it is ok for us to use sdebinary for now until next year when upgrading to 11g.

We finally narrowed down that only one feature class that, when using st_geometry, causes ArcMap to crash at labeling.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Oracle had LONG RAW in "deprecated" status for a long time.  Many users have run into
issues with SDEBINARY storage (which uses the LONG RAW type), and found that using
SDELOB (which uses a LOB type) made their instance more stable.  Oracle 11g does not
support LONG RAW at all, so only SDELOB and ST_GEOMETRY are available with 11g.

What in particular are you doing with 'sdegroup'?  I've been planning a utility I call 'sdecopy'
which would accomplish a number of the same  tasks, but will hopefully eliminate issues like
the dangles across tile boundaries that are a feature of 'sdegroup'.  It should cluster by
attribute *and* tile as well.

- V
0 Kudos