Some of my feature lines disappear while zooming/panning in data view. Any idea's on what I can do to fix issue??

05-07-2018 12:05 PM
GlennGorman
New Contributor II

Some of my feature lines disappear while zooming/panning in data view.  I've tried to fix the spatial index (delete and recreate), I've tried exporting the data, etc. and I can't extract or save these lines, they just vanish when I try to recreate the spatial index or export the data.  Some times I can select the lines in data view and some times I can't, some times I can see the records in the table and some times I can't.  I'm using 10.3.1, and the line features are in a file geodatabase.  Any idea's on what I can do to fix issue??

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

Not much information to go on, but have you tried the repair geometry tool?

Regards,

Jim

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Glenn,

Like Jim mentioned, Repair Geometry would be a good place to start.

Are you zooming in past the 1:1 scale? Do these layers have a coordinate system/projection? Are they projected properly? Where does your data originate from (like, is it coming from CAD features, are you hand drawing it, etc.)?

GlennGorman
New Contributor II

Tried Repair Geometry, didn't fix issue.  Ran the tool, no error messages, acted like it didn't find anything wrong, it says it succeeded in the messages.  To answer your questions: Zooming past 1:1, no.  Some lines disappear at 1:30,000, sometimes at 1:25,000, others disappear at 1:10,000.  It's not happening to all of the lines, just to about 10%.  The Coordinate system is NAD 83 State Plane Maryland FIPS 1900 (US Feet).  Are they projected properly, don't know.  This data is the County;s parcel dataset.  It was constructed by a consultant back in 2012, and I have been updating the data ever since as new plat data comes into the County.  I use COGO to place most new parcel lines, and I build parcel polygons using the build polygons tool.  The Softline feature set that is having the problem is used for old parcel lines, easement lines, misc lines.  The softlines most of the time are copied parcel lines pasted into the Softline feature set, and sometimes they are drawn in.  I've added over 4,000 lines to the Softline dataset since I started updating the data, and it appears that most of my lines are having the issue.  I haven't noticed any problems with the data until now.  The feature dataset contains a Topology, 2 line features, 2 point features, an annotation feature, and 2 polygon features.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

It sounds like it could be an issue with the topology (unless there are scale visibility settings in the properties of the layer - be sure to check that).

Can you export the feature layer to a brand new geodatabase with no topology and see if you're having the same issues?

GlennGorman
New Contributor II

Not sure what the issue was, but was able to fix by selecting all of the features in data view and exporting the selection.  Selecting features other ways did not work.  The new feature does not have the disappearing issue.  Other methods tried would just delete the disappearing records from the new feature set.  Since the original features would disappear, the selection process was a little cumbersome, but with a little patience I was able to select all but 18 features, out of 25,000 or so records, I figured that was good.  Thanks to all who responded and especially to ESRI support (Kiersten), they found the solution.