Snaping/Joining lines

01-22-2013 12:03 PM
Mohammad_ShafayatHossain
New Contributor
Hello,

I am fairly new in ArcGIS. I am wondering if there is a short-cut way of connecting closely spaced lines. I mean I have hundreds of lines (pathway for example), but some of the lines are not connected (small gaps exist between some lines). How can I connect those? I know I can manually connect by extending one line or drawing a new one in between, but it would require lot of time as I have hundreds. If you know a simple way of doing this (connect line if the distance in between xxx), I will be pleased to know.

Thanks
Shafayat
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Hello,

I am fairly new in ArcGIS. I am wondering if there is a short-cut way of connecting closely spaced lines. I mean I have hundreds of lines (pathway for example), but some of the lines are not connected (small gaps exist between some lines). How can I connect those? I know I can manually connect by extending one line or drawing a new one in between, but it would require lot of time as I have hundreds. If you know a simple way of doing this (connect line if the distance in between xxx), I will be pleased to know.

Thanks
Shafayat

If you have an Standard (ArcEditor) or Advanced (ArcInfo) licence you can use the Extend Line tool to do the whole feature class at once.  If you have a Basic (ArcView) license then I am not sure what 3rd party tools or scripts are out there.  But hopefully if you are maintaining data you really should get access to more than a Basic license (at least within your organization).
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Shafayat,

You may want to try using the Integrate Tool. This tool will close the gap between lines within a set tolerance. You want to make sure the tolerance makes sense for your data, if you set the tolerance too large it can do strange things to your lines and if the tolerance is too low, it will not be effective.

This tool modifies the input data so make sure to make a copy of your data first.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
JoshuaDamron
Occasional Contributor III
Depending on the quality of your data, yet another idea would be to try the Edge Match tool (http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//01m800000036000000) This tools process is spelled out pretty good in this tutorial:  http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Exercise_5c_Edgematching_data/001t0000...

Post back and let the Forum know what worked, or give us some more info about the problem and a solution will be found!
0 Kudos