.shp to .svg - (Can .svg contain the attribute table information?)

05-12-2013 06:16 AM
VikasRanga
New Contributor
While exporting .shp to .svg from ArcMap. It losses its attribute table information. Can I have an .svg image that contains the attribute table information because I need it for final application?

Thanks and regards
Vikas Ranga
IIT Roorkee
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi

Yes, user-defined attributes are supporting in SVG output.
If you right-click your writer and choose to add attributes from a feature type you can take themdirectly from the shapefile.

Regards
0 Kudos
VikasRanga
New Contributor
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for quick reply.

I am not getting the meaning of Writer in your comment.

What I am doing is that, I am exporting the shapefile as .svg format in Arcmap and get a .svg image. Can you please explain a bit more how I can add attribute table information to this .svg file?

Waiting for your reply!
Thanks.
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Vikas

I am assuming you are using the Data Interoperability extension and the SVG writer from the Workbench application to create your .svg files.  That is the context for 'writer'.

Regards
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello

I'm sorry if I was not clear before.

ArcMap can export a map to SVG with the Python function ExportToSVG, this will not preserve attribution.

The Data Interoperability extension (free trial available at:  ArcGIS Data Interoperability | Free Trial ) supports exporting actual features to SVG.  The most control over the export can be obtained by creating a Spatial ETL tool in a toolbox, using the Workbench application.  How to do this in detail is beyond the scope of a GeoNet post, please contact you regional office or distributor for assistance.

Regards

0 Kudos
JonWitcoski
New Contributor

Hello,

So what your saying is the ArcMAP export to SVG tool does not have full functionality.  I need to use the interoperablity tool.

I as well would like to export to SVG to make an animated web map

the map:

Edit fiddle - JSFiddle

0 Kudos