Shapefile symbology will not show up on sid image.

07-12-2016 12:37 PM
NoahHull
New Contributor II

I'm working on an accessibility project for parking lots, and since we do not have a shapefile with individual spaces drawn I chose to use a .sid image. Both the .sid image and shapefile have the same coordinate system, but I cannot get the x,y data for the shapefile I created to show up on top of the image. Any advice would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

let me confirm... the shapefile is on top of the sid in the table of contents? and it labels with the sid toggled off, but not when it is toggled on?

0 Kudos
NoahHull
New Contributor II

Dan,

thanks for your response, and yes that is my current situation.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ok  next text... if you select on the points layer and go to zoom to layer (can't remember where it is right now) can you see the points file but not the image even if they are both toggled on?  If the files are in 2 different coordinate systems and one isn't defined, then they will appear in two different locations.  You can confirm this by zooming to the full extent of the layers as well.  If he points, however, show up on top of the image (sid) but just the labels don't then you do have an issue, but I suspect that your data don't line up to begin with. and if that is the case, one or both do not have a defined coordinate system and you need to define it ... or one has been defined wrong (aka by using the Define Projection tool rather than the Project tool)

0 Kudos
NoahHull
New Contributor II

When selecting the points layer the image disappeared, and vice versa. I did use the project tool, but believe I may have designated the coordinate system wrongly before projecting it to that of the .sid image. The points x,y data was originally in lat/long and I defined it as a Geographic coordinate system>world>WGS 1984 (I believe this is where my error occured). Then I tried to project to state plane for east alabama (NAD_1983_StatePlane_Alabama_East_FIDS_0101_Feet), which is the same as the .sid image.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If the coordinates were indeed in lat/long, make sure that X is Longitude and Y is latitude ( a common mistake, but obvious since you will end up in a strange space) and you need to use the Define Projection first.  Once defined (GCS WGS84 is fine especially if from gps data), you can then use the Project tools

NoahHull
New Contributor II

That was my mistake, putting latitude and longitude in the wrong spot under x/y selection. Thanks so much for your help, you're a scholar and a gentleman.

Have a good one,

Noah