sdelayer alter

Jump to solution
08-02-2015 11:49 PM
jayasudha
New Contributor III

hi

I have created a feature class under a feature dataset.

Then modified feature class properties by using sdelayer by using feature class owner (same used in creating feature class) and password.

But when i use sde admin credentials, i get error "Layer not found"

Please suggest me....

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

All 'sdelayer' administration should always be performed as the owner schema. If the privileges are set correctly, the SDE user should NOT be able to edit  layer metadata for other users, so this behavior is actually good news -- Your instance is working according to design.

You should always be extremely careful using command-line tools against layers registered with the geodatabase.  There aren't many cases in which the Desktop tool won't be much safer for your geodatabase integrity.

- V

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

did you try with the fully qualified name?

Example: data_owner.object_name

0 Kudos
jayasudha
New Contributor III

yes, i have tried with fully qualified name....owner.object

ArcSDE 10.1  for Oracle11g Build 679 Thu Apr  5 11:43:21  2012

Layer    Administration Utility

-----------------------------------------------------

Error: Layer not found (-20).

Error: Cannot Modify the Layer

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Can you post the command that you used...

0 Kudos
SamuelTompsett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Jaya,

Can you post the full syntax you are using for sdelayer -o alter?

There may be a different way, using ArcCatalog, to get the same results.

-Sam

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

All 'sdelayer' administration should always be performed as the owner schema. If the privileges are set correctly, the SDE user should NOT be able to edit  layer metadata for other users, so this behavior is actually good news -- Your instance is working according to design.

You should always be extremely careful using command-line tools against layers registered with the geodatabase.  There aren't many cases in which the Desktop tool won't be much safer for your geodatabase integrity.

- V

0 Kudos
jayasudha
New Contributor III

Thanks to all for the discussion.

If it is privilege issue, then fine, sdelayer is working fine with data owner.

If i provide privileges (insert, update, delete) to sde, whether sde can alter feature class properties ?

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

I've never even considered giving such permissions, much less tried it, so I have no idea, but I would sincerely hope that it doesn't work.  In maintenance utilities I've written, I give a specific error message if the non-owner attempts to make such changes.

It is best practice to avoid using the SDE user for anything beyond instance maintenance.  The less you use SDE, the less likely that you'll corrupt your geodatabase.

- V

0 Kudos