SDE Users & Editing

06-13-2012 09:24 AM
WilliamDonahue
New Contributor
I am Currently testing the functionality of ArcSDE for use in a multieditor situation. I currently Have 2 Users added as people who can access the database. I cannot seem to get the multiediting functionality of SDE to work becasue when one person has the file open the other cannot make edits.

So I have a few questions:

1. Are the types of Edits Limited? (e.g. only shape addition or modification and not adding fields to tables)
2. Are there any additional configuration steps besides adding users to the databbase (in SQL) that I need to perform to allow multiuser editing?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I am Currently testing the functionality of ArcSDE for use in a multieditor situation. I currently Have 2 Users added as people who can access the database. I cannot seem to get the multiediting functionality of SDE to work becasue when one person has the file open the other cannot make edits.

So I have a few questions:

1. Are the types of Edits Limited? (e.g. only shape addition or modification and not adding fields to tables)
2. Are there any additional configuration steps besides adding users to the databbase (in SQL) that I need to perform to allow multiuser editing?

In answer to your first question, to my knowledge, no editing types are limited.

What version of SQL Server are you using?  I have my users share a default schema that gives them read-write premissions. (I'm using SQL Server 2008r2).  I also make them members of a a 'editors' group.  That way I can assign an individual user r-w privleges in ArcCatalog to a specific feature class, or I can let all the members get at a feature class and only enter the group name once instead of a dozen users.

Haven't had any issues.  However, if you have two (or more) users logged an and making edits, and if they savethier edits, they'll probably get a warning about saving them again since others are logged on.  Again, never had a problem, just save it again and they're good to go.

Hope this helps-
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
WilliamDonahue
New Contributor
In answer to your first question, to my knowledge, no editing types are limited.

What version of SQL Server are you using?  I have my users share a default schema that gives them read-write premissions. (I'm using SQL Server 2008r2).  I also make them members of a a 'editors' group.  That way I can assign an individual user r-w privleges in ArcCatalog to a specific feature class, or I can let all the members get at a feature class and only enter the group name once instead of a dozen users.

Haven't had any issues.  However, if you have two (or more) users logged an and making edits, and if they savethier edits, they'll probably get a warning about saving them again since others are logged on.  Again, never had a problem, just save it again and they're good to go.

Hope this helps-

I am Also Using 2008 R2. So what are you using as the default schema? Is it something you created or are you using somethhing like the SDE user schema?
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I am Also Using 2008 R2. So what are you using as the default schema? Is it something you created or are you using somethhing like the SDE user schema?

I created a schema called... editors...  Since SQL 2005 (I think, maybe 2003), various users can use the same default schema.  Take a look here

For your editors they need: Connect, Insert, Update, Delete and Execute permissions checked.  I give my login data creator permissions as listed on that page.

Hope this helps-
0 Kudos
WilliamDonahue
New Contributor
Hi All,

I have another question related to this. So if i followed the model posted previously i have the creators group. My question is, is there anyway for me to have multiple users use the same schema? We are using windows authentication groups.

I really want to create everything inder the DBO schema, using multiple simultaneous editors, but i don't want everyone having dbo rights.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
If your users are going to create/own data they must have their own schema.  That's an sde thing, not a sql thing...
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
I cannot seem to get the multiediting functionality of SDE to work becasue when one person has the file open the other cannot make edits.

William,

You mentioned that the user's can't edit the file...You're referring to a table (or feature class) that is in the geodatabase, right?  Is the table registered as versioned?  Or are the users attempting to perform nonversioned edits on the same table at the same time?
0 Kudos