SDE file are not working anymore (Oracle DB)

04-07-2023 09:18 AM
Polopolo
New Contributor II

Hello, this morning I had a surprise. My services are not working. They are running but not working, if I try to restart them they fail after a while with error:

In english something like 'Construction of service instance 'xxxx.MapServer' failed. Service starting expired.'

I cannot validate the SDE files from this DB in AGS.

In ArcCatalog, I don't have any error but my Catalog cannot connect to sde, it just tries to connect to DB indefinitely.

In sqldev, no problem to connect to the DB, everything works fine.

Another DB is on the same server and it works perfectly fine too.

I really don't know what could cause this behavior, do you have any idea? Or places i could find more info?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Everything licensed ok?

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

1. open a cmd window and try to ping the database server e.g. " ping mydbserver1.acme.com"
ping shall show it can reach the database server

2. try to connect to the database using the database tool

Oracle - use Oracle Instant Client / Oracle Full Client - SQL Plus or Oracle SQL Developer

4. Open ArcGIS Server Manager > Sites > Datastore and click Validate All

Then from another machine running ArcGIS Pro try to connect to the geodatabase.

connect with the sde user and make sure the property is checked for "geodatabase accepting connections"

If you still cannot connect, then ask your Oracle DBA to check if the database datafiles  are not full and need more space. The database administrator can diagnose database connection issues easily and make the correction necessary for the oracle database connections to work again.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Using ArcCatalog you can create a connection log file if you add a couple of Environment Variables like this.

SDESVRLOG      TRUE

SDESVRLOGLOC   C:\Users\username\Documents (or similar location)

Make sure you have OK'd the Environment Variables form, and restarted ArcCatalog. The file will be called sdedc_Oracle.log

MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

This can also help diagnose the problem.

How To: Diagnose ArcSDE Connection and Performance Issues Using SDEINTERCEPT (esri.com)

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
Polopolo
New Contributor II

It was a database problem which was really slow to connect (so I guess ArcCatalog got a timeout but the UI made me thought it was still trying to connect). After restarting the VM, it is working fine

0 Kudos