SDE and ArcMap Desktop interoperability by version? (SDE 10.1, ArcMap 10.0 and 10.1)

10-09-2012 11:59 AM
howardfoster
New Contributor
Hello all,

I have successfully installed ArcSDE 10.1 for postgres (PostgreSQL) on both Linux and Windows machines.  From ArcMap 10.1, these work fine, but I�??m having problems writing layers from ArcMap 10.0 to these databases, which leads me to wonder if you can�??t write from Desktop clients version 10.0 to SDE 10.1�??is this true?  Or did I do something wrong.  I remember seeing a table of Desktop and SDE interoperability by versions with entries something like ... read+write, read-only, <blank=none>.  Can someone give me a pointer to this table?

If I did something wrong, then I can report error messages, etc, plus results of interoperabiliy experiments.

Any pointers appreciated, thanks for your help,
-H
0 Kudos
14 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
What sort of problems are you having?

- V
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Desktop 10.0 can write/read data from SDE 10.1, without any problem.

The error message would help us to understand better, the problem that you are facing.
0 Kudos
howardfoster
New Contributor
A short answer is... from ArcCatalog 10.0 to sde 10.1, via a direct connection, when I "import" a vanilla vector file, I get a string of error messages, the most significant one is "function or procedure does not exist...DBMS table not found".  I will have more details later on.  (Things work fine with desktop 10.1 to sde 10.1.)  Thank you for your prompt replies.  -H
0 Kudos
howardfoster
New Contributor
More on error messages.  Here's a typical screen shot from a 10.0 client trying to import a feature layer into SDE 10.1 (Windows machine).  Should I be installing some additional software to make 10.0 clients connect to sde 10.1+postgresql (similar to that which is needed for ArcMap 10.1)?
-H
0 Kudos
tKasiaTuszynska
New Contributor III
HFoster,
You have seemed to find a bug fixed with sp5:
NIM080370 - PostgreSQL: ArcGIS 10.0 clients must be able to create, import, or paste feature classes into a 10.1 geodatabase.

This was an issue one would find when connecting from 10.0 client(Desktop, Engine, ArcGIS Server) to 10.1 server (postgres/sde), and working with data with the default spatial reference settings of 4326.
Is this consistent with your data environment?

The fix is in 10sp5
http://gisupdates.esri.com/10sp5/ArcSDE/ArcSDE10sp5-issues.htm

Sincerely,
Kasia
0 Kudos
howardfoster
New Contributor
Well, some progress with 10.0 clients.  I upgraded to SP 5 and they now can write layers to SDE 10.1 via direct connections (reading has never been a problem).  Service connections for both reading and writing through, e.g., port 5151 remain undoable (again, this is only 10.0 clients to SDE 10.1--10.1 to 10.1 has always worked just fine via both methods), and I get the bizarre error message, reported below, when I try to make the connection (.sde) file.  I guess I will declare partial victory and begin to deploy 10.1 servers.  9.3.1 (SP 2) client connections to SDE 10.1 remain completely undoable.

If anyone has had success connecting 9.3.1 clients to 10.1 and/or service connections from 10.0 to 10.1, I would sure love to hear from you.  Remember, this is for PostgreSQL 9.0.5.

Bizarre error message when attempting to define a service connection: basically I get cross-database error message and reference to the wrong database.  Somehow database references are being confused in the connection attempt.  Here�??s an example:

Failed to connect to the specified server.
FDO error: -2147216072
Underlying DBMS error [ERROR: cross-database references are not implemented: <wrong_database>.sde.gdb_release
LINE 1: select <wrong_database>.sde.gdb_release.* from <wrong_database>.sde...
                                                            ^
::SQL state: 0A000] [<wrong_database>.GDB_Release]

Thank you all, -Howard
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
You will not ever get a 9.3.1 client to work with a 10.1 server -- It's hard enough to make
the last one or two service packs of release N connect to N+1 without trying for a 2-3 year
leap forward from N-1 to N+1.

The client and geodatabase compatibilty matrix is published in advance of the N+1 release,
so users can start geodatabase upgrade planning.

- V
0 Kudos
DanielMrvos
New Contributor
Heya,

we have the same issues. Client 10.0 can't connect to a sde GDB if there is more than one database to connect to in PostgresSQL, through sde service. And in the compatibility matrix it says it can, 10.0 clients can conect to sde 10.1.

We also tried this reference http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/36445

But given that sde 10.1 doesn't have sdesetup -o install the last step was a little bit difficult.

When connecting through sde 10.1 service with a client of 10.0 the connection somehow gets confused. For instance if I want to connect to Database1 it tries to connect to Database2
If you connect with a 10.1 client everything works as expected.

We tried it with every client version that we got. The error is the same as HFOSTER stated it. And what he meant with <wrong database> is that the connection tries to connect to another database than stated in the database connection.

The setup is as follows:

SDE 10.1 SP1 on Linux64.
PostgresSQL 9.1.3 on Linux64.
ArcGis for Desktop Advanced (SP1, postgresql patch) x 1
ArcEditor x2 (10.0) (SP5)
ArcGis for Desktop Basic x1 (SP1, postgresql patch)
ArcView (10.0) x2 (SP5)

Thanks....
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
ArcSDE application services can only run in one database (can't connect to multiple databases
through one service).

What values are you placing in the various connection parameters at 10.0 SP5?  Are you using
Direct Connect or an application server port?

What PostgreSQL client libraries are you using on the various hosts?

- V
0 Kudos