save Raster.tif as JPG

06-03-2014 03:18 PM
av
by
New Contributor
Hi,
I have a simple question. I appreciate if some one can help me.
I have raster data with TIf extension which I need to save it as JPG format file and use it in another software.
whenever I try to export my raster, the following error comes up:
Jpeg comparison is only supported for 8 Bit unsigned or 16 Bit unsigned data with one or 63 bands. please select another comparison method.
I tried to copy my raster with copy rater tool in 8 bit but my raster changed to complete white image. Then I tried recalculating statistics but nothing changed.
what should I do?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
What are the specs of the tif? ie: number bands, pixel depth?
How are you doing the export? Are you right clicking the tif and choosing >> Export?
Are you prompted for promoting the pixel depth for adding NoData pixels? If so, choose No (no promote, export).
Best Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
av
by
New Contributor
What are the specs of the tif? ie: number bands, pixel depth?
How are you doing the export? Are you right clicking the tif and choosing >> Export?
Are you prompted for promoting the pixel depth for adding NoData pixels? If so, choose No (no promote, export).
Best Regards,
Jim

Thanks Jimcousins for your response.
My raster has 1 band and it is 32 bit and I am not prompted for promoting the pixel depth. I  right clicked and chose export as you mentioned.
I have not found any way to save my as Jpeg yet. It would be great if you know how to do it?
Cheers
0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
There is the source of the problem. A jpg file format can not support 32 bit. Can you convert your 32 bit tif to an 8 bit unsigned tif prior to attempting a jpg conversion (do you need 32 bit data type)? Are any other file formats supported by the other software?
for information regarding raster file formats, see: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//009t0000000q000000
Best Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
av
by
New Contributor
There is the source of the problem. A jpg file format can not support 32 bit. Can you convert your 32 bit tif to an 8 bit unsigned tif prior to attempting a jpg conversion (do you need 32 bit data type)? Are any other file formats supported by the other software?
for information regarding raster file formats, see: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//009t0000000q000000
Best Regards,
Jim

Thanks for your response.
But how can I convert it?
I have found a pdf explaining how to convert with raster calculator but it is not working.
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/082_rescale.pdf/$FILE/082_rescale.pdf
Do you know how I can convert 32 bit raster to 8 bit one?
Thanks
0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi

If your data is not really 32bit you can use CopyRaster and set the Pixel Type and it will truncate your values into 16/8bit
If you have real values above 16bit you will have to work with the raster calculator to make it 16bit only before you can truncate it.

Have fun
Mody
0 Kudos