S-57 data set support, programmatically add to map

07-01-2010 02:56 AM
StefanOffermann
Occasional Contributor II
Hi,

is the S-57 data format supported by ArcGIS 9.3.1/10? I am especially interested in adding a S-57 dataset to the map by automation, for example creating a C# extension for ArcMap.

Best regards, Stefan
0 Kudos
6 Replies
GeoffreyGomez
Esri Contributor
Stefan,

My name is Geoff and I work on the ESRI Nautical Solution. I would like to find out a little more about your inquiry so that I can provide the best response. What do you plan to do with the S-57 data once added to ArcMap? Will you need to simply display the data, or do you need to edit the data?

Based on your response I may have a few suggestions.

Regards,
Geoff
0 Kudos
StefanOffermann
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Geoff,

thanks for your help. Our customer needs an extension, which is able to copy nautical data from their custom system to a SDE. The current data formats are shape and S-57. The extension should be able to create layers in ArcMap automatically. No problem for shape files, but how can S-57 layers be created with C#? The data should be read only.

In my mind, two solutions may be found: (a) create a layer directly with a S-57 file as data source or (b) convert the S-57 to geodatabase, sde, and then create a layer from the gdb-featureclass(es)

btw: the created layers and the mxd file are used for creating a MapService in ArcGIS server afterwards

I hope you can give me any hints.

Best regards, Stefan
0 Kudos
TimothyKearns
New Contributor
Hi Stefan,

I'm following up on this very old thread to see if you still need assistance.  Please let me know if you do.  There have been some changes made to ArcGIS 10 that may allow for what you're asking for.  Also, we have a free utility that might be useful for you.

Cheers,
Tim
tkearns@esri.com
0 Kudos
LarryLansdowne1
New Contributor
Setfan,

I have a similar need in importing s57 data into rel 10 geodatabases, what are the new rel 10 options you are refering to?
many thanks,

Larry
0 Kudos
TimothyKearns
New Contributor
Larry -

Please contact me by email and I can send you the S-57 Viewer that I was referrring to.

Thanks,
Tim

tkearns@esri.com
0 Kudos
OlegLukyanov
New Contributor III
Larry -

Please contact me by email and I can send you the S-57 Viewer that I was referrring to.

Thanks,
Tim

tkearns@esri.com

Hi Tim,

Is it possible to get S-57 Viewer for ArcMap

Thanks

Oleg Lukyanov
0 Kudos