Select to view content in your preferred language

Running an ETL Tool Straight From ArcToolbox

09-15-2010 12:04 PM
NelsonDe_Miranda
Frequent Contributor
I've created a series of Spatial ETL Tools to migrate a various amount of data and information.

However, I run into a problem when I double click the tool and fiill the parameters in the GUI.
An error message is presented (see attached).

Note: I am using ArcGIS 10 ArcInfo Lic.

In order to troubleshoot I've done the following:

1) Ran the ETL Tool within the FME Workbench Software - This works.
2) Ran the ETL Tool embedded within a Model using Model Builder - This works.
3) Ran the ETL Tool alone without a model inside the ArcMap interface and - Bing Bang Boom - Error.

Also, I have not modified the filepaths.

Thanks in advance,
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Nelson

This is a known issue we're working on - if an ETL tool is the first background GP process in any session it will fail.  Run another GP tool first (Get Count if you can't think of anything else) and then the ETL processes.  They should then work.

Regards
0 Kudos
NelsonDe_Miranda
Frequent Contributor
Hey Bruce,

FYI.

I have installed SP1 and the problem still exists.

Cheers,
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello Nelson

Can you please log a support call; there must be another issue beside the one addressed in SP1 for background geoprocessing.  Please reference this forum thread when logging the call, and be ready to share test data, and of course your tool.  Thank you for helping us troubleshoot this issue.

Regards
0 Kudos
danielchaboya
Regular Contributor
Hi all,

Was this issue ever fixed.  I'm experiencing the same thing.
0 Kudos
danielchaboya
Regular Contributor
I was able to fix the issue, although this may not help others.  While uninstalling any unused programs, I also uninstalled Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010. After reading the errors when trying the run the spatial etl tool, I noticed a warning stating that the dbf file could not be read.  Remembering that I had recently uninstalled the Access Engine, I reinstalled it, and everything was back to normal.
0 Kudos