Reproject raster catalog

03-18-2013 07:56 PM
DavidHaberkorn
New Contributor III
I have a couple of raster catalogs in different file geodatabases and I need to re-project them to a new coordinate system. Now there is no option to project a whole raster catalog, nor can I use the 'Project Raster' tool, as it won't accept a raster catalog as file type (for selecting single rasters within the catalog).

There are two options that I thought about so far:

• use tool 'Raster Catalog to Raster Dataset', reproject the raster dataset and bring it back into a catalog. Now the problem is on the one hand that this process takes ages (incl. building of pyramides + calculating statistics) and I loose the single items within the raster catalog (after loading the dataset back into a raster catalog), as it just mosaics the datasets together.

• use Python and loop through raster datasets in raster catalog and reproject them individually. I have not investigated this version, but I doubt whether that will work. In case it would, that could be a solution. Anyone did something like that before?

My question therefore is, whether there is a proper/efficient way of reprojecting a raster catalog or the raster datasets within a raster catalog respectively from one coordinate system to another? I basically want to end up with raster catalogs that look exactly as the originals (incl. file names of raster datasets within them), but they do need to have a different projection.

Thanks for any tips.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
StefanHaglund1
Esri Contributor
Hi David,

Maybe this isn't the answer you are looking for but maybe this could be a good time to move to mosaic datasets? I find they better at just about everyting compared to raster catalogs, including e.g. reprojections.

If you want to keep you raster catalogs you can create a mosaic based on them, then handle reprojections from the mosaic dataset.
0 Kudos
DavidHaberkorn
New Contributor III
Hi David,

Maybe this isn't the answer you are looking for but maybe this could be a good time to move to mosaic datasets? I find they better at just about everyting compared to raster catalogs, including e.g. reprojections.

If you want to keep you raster catalogs you can create a mosaic based on them, then handle reprojections from the mosaic dataset.

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your tip. I did not mention that I use 9.3, so there is no option for mosaic datasets at the moment unfortunately. Any other ideas like Python or FME?
0 Kudos