Replicating edited feature class data outside of SDE to SDE server, Automatically?

02-03-2015 10:33 AM
ChrisGoessl
New Contributor III

Simple but complex question:

We just recently started SDE for my agency. I have a user that only has GIS Basic, but sometimes needs to edit street sign information. Since I can not give them edit in SDE, my thought is to create a Feature Dataset that they will be able to edit, then replicate the data between the Dataset and the SDE system.

Is this even possible to replicate the data outside of SDE to SDE?

If the feature class already has GlobalID, and tracking turn on: will these be auto-generated by someone that does not have a license greater than Basic edition?

Is there a way to create an automated script to do this?

Any direction or thoughts would be greatly appreciated before I tackle this issue.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey Chris,

Did you think about maybe start using versioning? Even if he only knows basic ArcGIS, versioning is just like editing but puts a buffer between him and SDE.

ArcGIS Help 10.1

SDE --> QC/QA version --> Editor Version

Tim

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Tim-  I think he means that the user only has a BASIC (ArcView) License, so he can't edit an SDE database.

Chris-  with two-way replication you are limited to SDE and SDE.  It does not have to be an Enterprise SDE, personal SDE will suffice, but since replication is built on versioning, shapefiles, personal, and file geodatabases can not participate.

That should just about do it....
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Ohhhhh, you are right my bad

JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

You can create a Check Out Replica.  This will allow you replicate data from an SDE geodatabase to a File Geodatabase.  However, you can only synchronize the changes back one time.  Therefore, you would need to re-create the replica after each synchronization.   

Editor tracking is available at all levels, so when you create the replica Editor Tracking will automatically be enabled for the child feature class.  GlobalIDs will carry over during the replication as well. 

Yes, you could create a model to create the Check Out replica, and then export the model to a python script if needed.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Good call Jake-  I forgot about check out replication

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ChrisGoessl
New Contributor III

This seems to work. However I need to create a Global ID for the SDE in the data before replicating. (Need to shut down the services first).

Thanks for the insight.

Chris Goessl

0 Kudos
LuciHawkins
Occasional Contributor III

You could accomplish this with a Two-way replica.  Someone with a Standard or Advanced license would have to perform the replication process.

See Replication help here:ArcGIS Help 10.1

Thanks,

Luci

Yep, forgot about both databases needing to be SDE.  Two-way wont work in this case, bummer!

0 Kudos