Replica practice question

03-14-2013 07:44 AM
QuinnMcCarthy
New Contributor
Hi,

We have a SQL base 2 way replica. Version 10. Whenever I add data in a certian way the synchronize fails. I was trying to come up with a way to add new data from a file GDB the sychozation fails. I had x features in the FC of the child DB. I deleted those features and added the feature that were in the file GDB.  Saved the data. compressed the data and synchronized the replica. Every tiome that I do it this way I get the new features plus the existing features in the parent GDB. Is the way I did that incorrect? Must be because it didn't work.

In the past I created the new file GDB and then brought the replica down added the data to both side and rebuilt the replica. It always worked fine but caused downtime for all users. The 911 system is using that replica.

Is there a way to do this without bringing the system down?

Thanks.

Quinm
0 Kudos
5 Replies
LeoDonahue
Occasional Contributor III
I see alot of posts talking about 2 way replication and using FGDB.  I'm not sure how that would work.  ESRI docs indicate that the destination geodatabase in a 2 way replica needs to be an SDE database.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/003n/003n000000t6000000.htm

Two-way replicationTwo-way  replication allows data changes to be sent multiple times from the  parent replica to the child replica or from the child replica to the  parent replica. If the same row is edited in both replica geodatabases,  it is detected as a conflict when the replicas are synchronized.  Reconcile policies are provided to define how conflicts are processed.
Two-way  replicas continue to exist after synchronization, allowing you to  continue editing and synchronizing the replicas. When creating two-way  replicas, the destination must be an ArcSDE geodatabase.

Is this saying that 2 way replication is SDE to SDE only?
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Leo,

Just to make Quinn's post clearer...

Quinn is working with two sde geodatabases in the 2 way replica....he is adding new data from the File geodatabase(FGDB) in to the child sde gdb and then synchronizing the child with the parent sde gdb. Thats the only role of the FGDB here.

To confirm, for a 2-way replica.....both need to be sde geodatabase! A FGDB cannot be involved in a 2-way replica.

This is what I understand. Quinn please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
0 Kudos
QuinnMcCarthy
New Contributor
Sorry about the confusion.

We are using a 2 way replica. Both saides are in SDE based sql server 2008 databases. I am using to files GDB to copy features from the file gdb to the child GDB. Then I synchronize the child and all of the features make it through except it doesn't delete the existing feature sin the parent.

I have a process I need to do once a month for one of the department. To do that I copy the data sets to a file GDB do the steps to that FC and put it back in the 2 way replica while it is down.

I was trying to come up with a way to get the feature from the file GDB into the child and then synchronize the child and have them show up in the parent without any errors.

Thanks

Quinn
0 Kudos
AmyRamsdell
New Contributor III
Quinn, did you come up with a solution for this? We have same situation where duplicates are being added to the parent because of the new globalism being generated yet the old ones don't get deleted in the parent. I can't understand why a delete in the child doesn't constitute a change that gets pushed to the parent
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
When synchronizing the two replicas, are you reconciling in favor of geodatabase 1 or geodatabase 2?
0 Kudos