Relative paths in mosaic datasets

02-19-2012 05:49 PM
YvoWeidmann
New Contributor II
Dear list

Is it possible to use relative paths to reference imagery in mosaic datasets? Till now, I just found the use of absolute path. Using relative path could simplify the distribution of mosaic datasets a lot.

Looking forward to any hint.

Best regards,
Yvo
5 Replies
PatrickTaurman
Occasional Contributor III
The two options for loading data into a mosaic dataset is to use UNC or absolute paths.  Are you planning on distributing the mosaic datasets inside your organization?  If so, I would suggest using UNC paths to load the data into the mosaic dataset.

Patrick
0 Kudos
YvoWeidmann
New Contributor II
The two options for loading data into a mosaic dataset is to use UNC or absolute paths.  Are you planning on distributing the mosaic datasets inside your organization?  If so, I would suggest using UNC paths to load the data into the mosaic dataset.

Patrick

Dear Patrick

I am looking for a similar possibility as it was provided in the dbf-based raster catalogs. There the usage of relative path was possible, so you could store the data all different possible medias such as DVD and distribute it. The catalog was stored in the highest directory and the data in lower directories. That worked in all situation (except you changed the internal structure).

I am wondering if the same approach is possible using mosaic datasets? That would simplify the distribution of data using medias such as DVD or external hard drive much easier.

Best regards,
Yvo
0 Kudos
MatthewRantala
New Contributor II
I haven't found a way to actually use relative paths but I did find a tip in this Forum thread that points out you can repair the paths for a Mosaic Dataset by right-clicking on it in ArcCatalog and selecting, "Repair ...". While not really relative paths, it has allowed me to successfully move the source data and not have to painfully recreate my mosaic dataset.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/32259-mosaic-dataset-change-path-after-the-fact
0 Kudos
YvoWeidmann
New Contributor II
Hi

Thank you for the hint. But I am still surprised that relative addressing of the individual raster sets isn't possible. From my point of view, absolute addressing (even with UNC path) of data should be avoided in every possible case.

Let's see, perhaps I will find something.

Yvo
deleted-user-yIALGElyA_K9
New Contributor III

Yvo,

And did you ever find anything?

Jacob

0 Kudos