Rectified images from ArcGIS 10.1 appear black in other software

09-05-2012 03:55 AM
TomSavage
New Contributor II
Since upgrading to ArcMap 10.1, my rectified images cannot be used outside of ArcMap.

The system is running Windows 7, 64 bit.

I sometimes have to provide rectified images for clients using other GIS software (MapInfo).

The rectified images appear just fine in ArcMAP but appear as solid black to any other software.
I know there is SP1 being released  next month, that I hope fixes this major problem.

Is there a work around for this besides downgrading to 10.0?

Thanks
TS
0 Kudos
20 Replies
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor
Tom - can you provide a bit more information? 

1) are you outputting TIFF format, and have you tried other formats?
2) are you using any compression?
3) have you tried reading your output images in software other than MapInfo?
4) are the images 8 bit, 16?  single, multi band?  integer or float?
5) can you upload a small sample for us to examine?

Thanks
Cody B.
0 Kudos
TomSavage
New Contributor II
Tom - can you provide a bit more information? 

1) are you outputting TIFF format, and have you tried other formats?
2) are you using any compression?
3) have you tried reading your output images in software other than MapInfo?
4) are the images 8 bit, 16?  single, multi band?  integer or float?
5) can you upload a small sample for us to examine?

Thanks[ATTACH=CONFIG]17521[/ATTACH]
Cody B.

Cody
I have tried multiple formats and compressions with the same results.
I have tried opening or viewing with graphics programs like Photoshop and Irfanview with the same results.
I have attached sample.zip containing a rectified image from 10.1

The image is fairly low res earth imagery, is visible with ArcMAP, but black with Photoshop.

9.3 or 10.0 did not give me this type of grief.

Thank you in advance
Tom
0 Kudos
CarlaSolano
New Contributor
Hello Tom,

I am having the same problem. Did you get it fix?
If you did could you walk me through.

Thanks!

Cody
I have tried multiple formats and compressions with the same results.
I have tried opening or viewing with graphics programs like Photoshop and Irfanview with the same results.
I have attached sample.zip containing a rectified image from 10.1

The image is fairly low res earth imagery, is visible with ArcMAP, but black with Photoshop.

9.3 or 10.0 did not give me this type of grief.

Thank you in advance
Tom
0 Kudos
TravisLiska
New Contributor
If anyone figures out a solution please post to this thread. I'm having the same problem and I'm using another computer with 10 on it to get the job done.  Is ESRI aware of this problem?
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
There are too many questions to consider a solution.  First and foremost, what is the bit depth of the original raster?  What is the size of the raster? What compression?  Is there a colormap? There are many considerations and will need specific examples.  What it sounds like is the nodata value was not defined and ArcMap promoted the bit depth and then the other programs cannot display the data. Or the color map created cannot be accessed by the other software.  However, if you have a specific example, please log a Support Incident to get it tested and logged.
0 Kudos
TravisLiska
New Contributor
Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.  I've come up with a solution that has worked for me.  I am working with 8 bit images which are scans of paper maps.  I noticed that in the save dialog box for rectifying images there is the "No data as:" field.  In version 10 this is automatically blank, but in 10.1 it is automatically populated with the value 256 (for my 8 bit image).   This promotes new saved raster to 16 bit, which I believe may be what prevented it from displaying in other software.

To correct this I simply deleted the "NoData as" field and left it blank as it was in 10. I do this each time I save.  So far I've been able to see the rectified images in Google Earth and Photoshop.  I'm guessing the change in default treatment of No data values in 10.1 is associated with the additional No Data options in environment settings.
0 Kudos
AndrewQuee
Occasional Contributor III

I was just helping a client with almost the same issue (8-bit RGB TIFF, saves as rectified black TIFF) and found the same fix, but I was setting 255 as the nodata value.  You actually can still use this file, but you have to set RGB stretch to not-None in ArcMap and this doesn't help you at all outside ArcMap.

I didn't get any joy out of changing the environment settings, mostly because I believe they only apply to geoprocessing tools.

My Google-Fu failed.  Does anyone know of a way to set the default nodata value in the Georeferencing - Rectify - Save As dialog so that you don't have to reset it for every single rectification?

0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
For you new data, can you confirm that the output is 8 bit?  I believe that is more than likely the issue, the promotion to 16 bit.
TravisLiska
New Contributor
Yes, the new raster's properties have its pixel depth at 8 bit.
0 Kudos